should i stop nursing while i have a stomach bug?

also, are there any anti-nausea meds i can take while nursing?

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 8:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• No. In fact nursing will help your baby to NOT get sick. Because your body is producing anti-bodies for the bug you have and they will be passed to your baby through your milk...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No! Now is the best time to nurse. You are giving your LO the anti bodies to that virus so she/he won't catch it to. I kow you feel horrible but keep it up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Not at all. I nursed when I had the stomach flu the cold and the flu and my son never got it.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No- it's actuallyl better to keep on nursing, your baby will get your antibodies as you develop them, which makes your baby much less likely to catch your bug. Check the site www.kellymom.com for info on specific drugs that combat nausea. I can't remember but I think there are a few that are fine while nursing.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• ok, so that being said, is there anything i can take so i am not constantly throwing up?
    Phippsandrea

Comment by Phippsandrea (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Agree with everyone else. Don't stop nursing! If I remember right, you can pass any anti-bodies you develop to the baby to help prevent him from getting sick. As far as meds, I would call your doctor and ask what's safe.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 1:03 AM on Nov. 24, 2010