I can't wait to move and have normal doors on the bedrooms!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 2 yr old is a nightmare at bedtime. We ignore him, he has no door, just a gate. Bangs on it, just doesn't give up....yep, every freaking night. He wakes the baby. He is going to have one rude awakening in a couple months when we move and he has a door again....and will be locked in his room. No one gets to sleep until he does. And the middle of the night is just as bad. I would think after a few months of no attention he would just go to sleep, but it's never ending. I can't wait for him to be school age and just SLEEP.

What's your biggest complaint about your LO? Just feels good to vent.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 8:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• don't worry, it's definitely not abuse. My daughter is 13 now and has turned out great! Straight A student, plays 2 musical instruments, good at sports, popular with her peers.. I don't think there are many abused children like that!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 9:29 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• put a movie on for him when he goes to bed.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It is not child abuse to turn the door knob around to keep him in his room. I am a mental health worker and have worked in infant stimulation....and have numerous friends in both fields. It is no different than putting those plastic door knob things on the door to keep them from opening the doors, but when they are old enough and strong enough to have figured that out, you turn the door knob around. I think if there is a fire I would be carrying their little bodies out of the burning house under my arms anyways, thank you very much anon! Because a 2yr old isn't going to go running out of the house or have any sense of the danger. AND BTW if it was child abuse, guess that one Sextuplet show is also abusers, since they do it with their toddlers who don't stay in bed either.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Your going to lock him in is bedroom? There is a reason why he is screaming at night time..that is not normal..at least to the extent your describing. It's your job as a parent to figure it out. And I wouldnt be going around saying your locking your kid in his bedroom..that's child abuse, and can be reported. I feel bad for the child. ..poor thing!
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Oh and I guess my 6+ years of education for working specifically with children doesn't qualify as parenting classes to you either. He makes noise for 5-10 minutes, completely normal....looking for attention. When we lived where there was a door and he was still in a crib he was just contained.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• He is yelling I peed, I pooped, water, or throwing his blanket over the gate....for attention. When we go up to make sure he isn't wet or dirty it prolongs the attention seeking. Believe me, 5-10 minutes is better than letting him go on and on with attention for an hour and a half every night, giving him exactly what he wants.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Some mothers would rather teach their kids that they can control the household with their behavior then to actually set boundaries. I had to hold my twins bedroom door shut when they were that age, but it took close to an hour before they gave up and went to sleep.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Thank you, Sweet29mom, I actually got the idea from a therapist. Because, that is exactly right, they shouldn't run the household and "train" the parents. It's a phase, he didn't do this until the last few months and going back up and giving him attention made it worse.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i dont think you are abusing him in any way....when its bed time he needs to be in his bed....i saw this on Nanny911 maybe?? or one of those shows...but they put the child in their bed....OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER...and didnt give up...it may take a night or two and it will make your life a living hell with lack of sleep for everyone for a fews days but it worked...i understand why you want to just lock him in the room and let him realize on his own that he'd better go to bed because no one is coming to resvue him but at the same time he deserves to learn from YOU instead of just being mad at YOU....hence the physically putting him in his bed repeatedly tactic...Good Luck!!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Stop the bashing people!! When my daughter was 3 had the exact same problem at bedtime and TWO therapists who talked with her said she's just testing my limits because there's nothing whong with her, so they told me to do exactly that- lock her door for a few days.

You don't have to keep it locked all night, just until he's asleep. And it's not going to last a lot either because once he understands your limits are set, he's going to stop.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 9:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2010