Should parents push their pregnant teens to choose adoption?

I was watching a program where parents of a pregnant teen were pushing and almost left no choice for the daughter to giver her child up for adoption. I understand their reasoning since the young lady was young and had a lot awaiting her. It just seemed like it went against the natural maternal instinct. It was hard and sad seeing her break down emotionally.

Jenaiko01

Asked by Jenaiko01 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Adoption

• I can't imagine having given any of my kids away. Its sick.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Parents should push their children to make the choice that's best for THEM... They should make sure they have all the information on ALL the options available and help them to make the choice which fits their lives, their wants and their needs... If that's adoption, then yes, by all means push for adoption. But if it's not... so be it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• no..they shouldve been smart and put the kid on birth control...and if they are so against her having a child then i would push more for abortion...
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• They shouldn't push. They should have talked to her about NOT getting pregnant in the first place. But anyway, they should help her decide what the best decision is.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think that it should be up to the mother what she does. HOWEVER, the parents should be clear about how much, if at all, they are willing to help her. Then with that info she can decide if she will be able to keep the baby.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't think the parents should 'push' the teen to do anything... I think they should help explore the options and support her choice. One of my cousins had a baby young and was going to give her daughter up for adoption- when the moment came she just couldn't do it, and her family supported her in that. She's a good mom, and it would have emotionally devastated her to give up a baby that she had bonded to- I think her parents did the right thing to support her decision.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'm sure its hard for parents when their teens get pregnant but I dont think they should push towards adoptions unless no one can take care of the baby.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• That is between the girl and her family. Ultimately, whether she knows it or not, she has the right to keep her baby...
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think teens should make their own decisions. Have all the knowledge and make the best decision. Whether that would be keeping the pregnancy, adoption, or abortion.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• shay1130 the abortion answer has nothing to do with the question I was asking but ok.

Jenaiko01

Comment by Jenaiko01 (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2010