if im having tiny twinges of pain in one of my teeth does that automatically mean that its abcessed and will have to be extracted?

it has an old filling in it...it is not heat or cold sensitive and i cant see a hole in it but im having tiny pains under it.....???

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Health

• Only if its swollen can you automatically assume its abscessed. See your dentist.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• This has happened to be a few times. Normally it means that the filling is leaking. A tiny crack may have developed that is letting air and saliva get to the nerves in your tooth. Three times now, I have had to have the old filling removed, have an insulator put in the tooth, and have it refilled. After a certain depth though, they can't keep chipping out the fillings, so a root canal would be needed instead.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• more likely than not your filling is simply loose or whoever filled it didn't drill all of the decay out and you'll have to have it redrilled and refilled.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No but you may need a root canal because the nerve is probably exposed or inflamed from the filling being old.. Usually if you have a tooth abscess there is swelling or the tooth feels longer than the other if you bite down. You definitely need to see a dentist for an x-ray.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Believe me, if you had an absessed tooth you would know it. My husband had one once and it looked like he had a baseball in his cheek.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• 5BabyBees....thank you for that suggestion!! I have intermittent congestion and allergy symptoms so that is a possibility but about a month ago i had an abcessed tooth on the right side and (current pain is bottom left) and the pain started out tiny and slowly got to be the WORST PAIN IVE EVER FELT, 10X WORSE THAN CHILDBIRTH!! and this type of pain im feeling now just really reminds me of it...i have a dentist appt at noon tmrw so i will find out then but i have medicaid and only a few hundred dolllars left to spend on it and more work that needs done and im also SCARED SHITLESS OF THE DENTIST AND THE DRILL!!! i have to load up on Xanax and thats hard because i have to be driven there and back and i have a 4 month old and bla bla bla complain rant wah wah im such a wuss!!!!
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I need xanax too when I go to the dentist. Don't feel bad. I had to be IV sedated to have an abscessed molar pulled out a few years ago. I hate dentists with everything that I am.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Good luck at your appointment. Hopefully it's not something that needs further work. I had a cracked filling that caused me twingy pain, no sensitivity to hot or cold and I had to have a root canal. I also am afraid of dentists. I was given valium before the procedure and that helped a little.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 11:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'd make an appointment with your dentist and see what they say.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:42 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Could also be the roots of your sinus putting pressure on the roots of your teeth.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:27 AM on Nov. 24, 2010