Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My husband hit a deer in his car; is this enough to replace the carseat?

My husband hit some deer going to work. The bumper is dented, the grille is dislocated and dented, the hood is pushed in and the center is raised about 3-4 inches. The passenger side has dents from a deer that ran into the car. The air bags didn't come out because he was going under 35 MPH.  The car still runs, just looks like it has a pug nose. I don't know if it matters but the car is a Nissan Maxima.

I have heard you are supposed to replace the seat if in an accident, but I am not sure if this warrants it. The insurance agent is coming out tomorrow and I would like to know before then. Will insurance pay to replace it?


Answer Question

Asked by cassey.e at 8:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 13 (990 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • When I got hit they replaced my seat.

    Answer by bhoward87 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

  • Contact the company that made the seat and ask them.

    Answer by mommytoJames512 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

  • Personally I would replace the seat either with insurance paying for it or I would do it myself. My child's life is worth taking the extra precaution. I would INSIST that the insurance agency DO replace it as it is a requirement that it be replaced in ANY accident!! GL

    p.s. You didn't say, but I hope your DH is ok - I gather that he is due to you not mentioning it!

    Answer by Babylove76 at 11:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

  • It might not have hurt the seat, but I would replace it anyways. Better safe than sorry!

    Answer by montanagal2005 at 1:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • I had to replace my carseats when I was rear-ended. The insurance told me that if the damage was more than $500, I would need to replace the car seats. I guess you could get an estimate on how much it would cost to repair the vehicle and if it's more than $500 the you should replace it.

    Hope this helps a bit.

    Best wishes!

    Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:40 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • Just wait until the insurance agent comes out to assess the damage. No one is going to give you better advice than the agent.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 11:22 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • It doesn't warrant it because the part of the car where the carseat is located is undamaged.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.