What good calories to add to put on weight for one year old, liquid wise?

My little one is 28 inches long and weighs 16.4 lbs. She wasn't a pre-mie and her pediatrician suggested Carnation Instant breakfast added to milk. However, she is still on formula and hasn't transitioned to milk yet. Milk upsets her tummy and so does soy milk even though she has been on soy formula for a year. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wondering why she doesn't eat solids or baby food if she's one? Does she have a sensitive stomach or something?
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• try her out on some lactaid milk (it is in a carton like soy milk and is stored by the regular milk in the cold section) Its lactose free milk, not soy or almond or anything like that. If that works add the carnation to that instead. If not, I would try mixing it with water or maybe a TINY amount of juice.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• She eats three meals a day. She likes avacadoes, bananas, peanut butter, pasta, you name it! She has just always been tiny and is more active now....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Formula is better than milk. If it wasn't so expensive it would be nice to keep them on it until 2 yrs. My youngest is 14 months and still half milk and formula when he drinks "milk" because it's very healthy for them. What kind of food is she eating? Feed her every 2-3 hours. Breakfast, snack, lunch, nap, snack, dinner, snack.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• why do you want her to put on weight what did the doc say
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 9:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• The doc says she would like to see her with a little more weight on her. She was born 7lbs 7 oz and 19 1/2 inches long. Dad is 5'8 and I am 5'71/2. She is a petite little girl and eats like a little piggy....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Honestly, you know your family and your daughter better than the doctor does. If she isn't flipping out because your kid is anorexic (which she obviously isn't) then I'd say you should decide for yourself if you think your daughter is unhealthily small or if its normal for her.
    We had to do the same thing, just opposite for our daughter. She's a giant to kids her age and the doc kept telling us to cut back on her food. She's just extremely tall for her age.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My son is skinny at least he looks small. He's also 1 but weighs 20pds but he doesn't look it, he looks much skinnier. Maybe you can add another meal or yogurt in their. She may just be small. If she's not anemic then I wouldn't worry.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Whole milk for sure, other than that I really am not sure..
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:11 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I wouldnt do anything if she is staying on her same curve. Shes going to be how shes meant to be.. My pedi told me at his 15 month appointment that he was dropping a little in weight and to start sneaking in some extra calories to get back up to the 40th percentile where he usually is. (he had dropped to the 29th). I thought about it for a while and decided not to because i think it was because he was so active and because he had been sick and lost weight twice and had to re gain it. Wel, i think i was correct because he has caught back up to where he was all on his own.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2010