Need advice on helping my son go to bed.

My son is 4 months on Friday and he has a VERY difficult time going to bed pretty much since he was born. So we started a routine and have been doing it since he was 2 weeks old. Once in awhile he may fall asleep after having his bottle. But mostly he'll cry and cry. I've tried rocking him, swaddling him, walking with him and singing to him. All these things have worked in the past, but nothing consistant. I would've thought that having a routine would've helped him, but nothing really has. I also thought by this age and what we've been doing for him he'd be in a good place with going to sleep. I'm literally at my wits end with what to do. Does anyone have any advice of what to do or if this has happened to them and what worked for them? Oh and BTW.....he has acid reflux and is on medicine for that and is teething....help!!!!!!

ajgavutis07

Asked by ajgavutis07 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe there is something else that is bothering him and the doctor has not figured it out yet. Because if he is 4 months old and still not sleeping well and still crying like that then there may be an underlying problem. My 1st son cried every night ,but only until he was 6 weeks old. So maybe your son will just grow out of it as well.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND BE STRONG!!!!!
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 9:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• dont get frustrated. you need tofollow his lead as to what will soothe him. newborns cant soothe themselves until they develop hand-eye coordination at like 6-8 months. my daughter now 8 months was same way --- my former abusive husband woudl scream about her being on a routine... but even my pediatrician said that is too early for an exact routine. my daughter at that age was falling asleep at 9... this has gradually at about 6 months went to 8, and nwo to 7 pm. please get a nightlight for his room, get a fleece blanket from walmart or target, feed him well, and be verrrry relaxed as they can pick up your tension liek a sponge... kids even that age, even fetuses know if people are tense, angry or fighting or being harrassed. give him a warm wipe-down in your bedtime rituals and USE lavender lotion on him ONLY at night -- it will signal to him its bedtime, the world to him is dry, BIG and on the cold side...be patient w tyke:)
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:29 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• also my daughter has been teethign since 4 months too. at 7 months got two bottom teeth at 8 months two top showing! ALSO LET HIM Fall Asleep in his bouncy chair!!!! i forgot to tell you that was the ONLY place she'd fall asleep, laid upon a fleece balnket with a fleece balnket over top.... it was mor elike a little gentle pod rather than a flat bassinet which she hated. NOW she sleeps in her pack n play. please try it.... it works you can even transfer him later to a bassinett. it is safe. ive done it for months lol lots of peace, and i breastfed til 4 months... breastfed children wake every 2 hrs for food.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• swaddling my daughter never liked, not all kids do
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• well you listed the things you have tried so that means you havent done anything consistent unless im misunderstanding you....the routine has to be strict....and not just the actions, but the order and place of them....even having the lighting in the room be consistent is important...for 6 weeks straight i did the bedtime routine with my daughter at the same exact time and the same exact way no matter what...even if she was mad and crying...and now she knows its time for bed at the end of our routine and i dont even have to rock her anymore i can just lay her down and she goes to sleep...shes 4 1/2 mos...BUT maybe his reflux is making him uncomfortable and he NEEDS the comfort....is he sleeping with his torso elevated? have you tried teething tablets? also, if youre comfy with it, a pharmacist DID tell me that Motrin is safe under 6 mos because its dosed by weight just FYI...i give it.
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I have 3 boys all very different, at this age they are growing and changing and so is the schedule constantly. At this age, before being to tough with the cry it out stuff, make sure he does not have an ear infection, or gas, common things that are hard to detect.
    I am all for routine, but probably not strict with it at this age. Remember your child is not against you and not trying to defy you, He is probably just as uncomfortable as you are. Really tune in to your motherly instinct and you will figure out what he needs. Good luck
    I always found that my best decisions came when I was rested, so maybe get some good sleep yourself.
    curioschatter

Answer by curioschatter at 9:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2010