how can I make my 5 yr old understand that taking out frustration by kicking is not a solution.

mommaresh

Asked by mommaresh at 9:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• By example.

By showing her (him?) how to step away from growing frustration, by pointing out mounting frustration when you see it, and helping him (her?) think about things in a less intense, personal way.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You need to talk with them and tell them it is not okay. If they continue to do it give thema punishment and follow through with that. If you are going to give them a time out then say "I you do that again you will be in a time out for 5 minutes." Then if they kick again in a time out they go.

You have to be consistant and follow through with that you are saying you will do. Tell them it is okay to be frustrated they just need to talk to you about it and not kick things.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• thanks Lindaclement and cornflakegirl will seriously try thz.
    mommaresh

Comment by mommaresh (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Also give her another way to take her frustration out. Children don't know to express themselves that much especially with the lack of vocabulary so they need to release stress someone. Maybe she can go in her room have 1 loud scream in her pillow. Just make sure she has a way to release her stress.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• thanks Jenaiko01
    mommaresh

Comment by mommaresh (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• In addition to what others said, I assume at 5 they are in school. And that is overwhelming, frustrating, and stressful. Maybe you could also meet with their teacher and find out what they implement in school to help kids cope with these feelings. Then try to carry through that coping skill at home, so it is consistent for the child. And you have to work with them showing them how to do it and remind then daily this is the acceptable way, and kicking is not.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You seem to have received some great advice so I will just say good luck to you. I hope that they all help you.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 4:38 AM on Nov. 25, 2010