Eating soap while pregnant?

So I'm watching last weeks 16 and Pregnant, and the girl has a "craving" to eat soap (bar soap). She also said she's producing ALOT more saliva, so she carries around a Pringles can to spit in, because swallowing so much saliva makes her want to vomit....I never had weird cravings like that, or had the desire to carry something around to spit in....anyone else ever had an uber weird craving like that?

HaydensMama07

Asked by HaydensMama07 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It is a known medical condition called Pika. People want to eat non food items and can be dangerous. When I was pregnant with my middle son I LOVED the smell of Tide laundry detergent and would stick my head in the washer while it was filling. Sniffing it wasn't dangerous, but eating it would have been.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I havent had any myself but have a few friends who were like this. My friend kept wanting to eat her step child's play-do lol Turned out she WAS anemic and preeclampsic
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• sometimes I wanted dirt....like sand out of a sand box, not sure why but it looked and smelled sooo good. I never ate it though.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with that girl! LOL
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No, I have heard of some weird cravings. Eating soap is at the top though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'm 28 weeks pregnant & have no cravings to eat soap!
    I think its gross.
    mom2ababygirly

Answer by mom2ababygirly at 9:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I just saw the episode. I thought it was odd too since soap is so nasty. I know of someone whe craved powder and chalk while pregnant.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I never had any weird and out of sort cravings during any of my pregnancy, but I did have the saliva thing. I did have to carry around something with me because I would vomit. If I had a meeting or any of the sort and had to keep swallowing, when I left I would vomit. There was many times I left places and would have to pull my car over and vomit beside the road. It was very annoying.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I only craved specific foods such as salads with bleu cheese dressing (before they said it was bad) and scrambled eggs with cheese.

:-)
    But I did have the excess saliva thing and threw up a whole lot.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I was never told I was anemic. My son though was. He had several inuterine transfusions and two blood transfusions afterwards. Maybe that had something to do with those dirst cravings.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2010