Puzzled... 1 year old with swelling and fluid on her knees??

I have never heard of anything like this. My SIL took her DD to the doctor today -- outside of cutting 4 teeth at once, she's okay --- except both of her knees are swollen and the doctor said there's fluid on her knees..

Anybody EVERY heard of anything like this?? Any possible guesses -- the doctor wants to just "check her again in a few weeks" - without any explanation at all.

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 10:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• How old is she?? Is she starting to crawl?? My sons knees swelled up for about the first 2 weeks after he started crawling...the Dr. thought thats what it was from and he was right. After a couple weeks his knees were just fine.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• She's 1 -- been walking for a while.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• She could have aggravated something in her knee from walking or falling. It is NOT normal, I would be taking her to a specialist for a second opinion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• he didn't tell her anything at all? That's weird
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• He told her nothing. But then again the dr is a medicaid dr. and I personally have never had confidence in them (least I'm never known one that was worth the weight of the frame that holds his license). he just basically said "hmmm her knees are swollen and there's some fluid on them, but that's not what's causing her crankiness" (then proceeded to tell her that DD is cutting 4 teeth at once.) He said to bring her back in a few weeks for a check.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• O and it's not just one knee - it's both of them.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Get a LYMES test ... AND and ANA (both are simple blood draws)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• not in a child that young. I've heard of it in older teens who were over active in sports, or adults.

I would DEFINITELY be talking to the doctor further about it though.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• does she still crawl at all? i know my dad who sits with his elbow constantly on a desk, table, arm of the chair actually had fluid in his elbow from irritation. he now takes ibuprofin daily to help with the swelling, and has to make an effort to NOT have pressure on that arm constantly. even if she would kneel to play? i guess i don't really know but it could be?
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'd get a second opinion.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2010