How do i decipline a physically aggressive child ...

I would almost consider my daughter verbally abusive.. she says the most hurtful things to me. Things that usually dont get yelled until ur dealing with them in their teens. "get out of my life, i hate you." she yells it very aggressively and physically attacks me. I admit to spanking her and being a little rough with her only because i have to restrain her to protect myself.. I dont know how 2 discipline her when she gets like that.. talking doesnt help. shes out of control and sometimes the only thing i can do is feel hurt and mad. And then i start yelling. its a cycle i dont know how to break.

JessiMayer

Asked by JessiMayer at 10:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How old is she and what is she going thru daily?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• she's 5 and we're pretty normal on a day to day basis... we walk to her school together morning.. she's in after-school daycare twice a week while im at school, about 2 hours per week she's there.. Im a single mom, and my daughter has a close relationship with my mom because my she's always there for us if we need her. So she's sleeps over at my mom's about once or twice a week... Thats why i dont get this.. is because there's routine in our life and we laugh and have a great time together. she almost dr jeckle and mr hyde

JessiMayer

Comment by JessiMayer (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• there is def something else going on with her. this is NOT the cause of something but rather the symptom of it. pay close attention to what is happening right before these outbursts.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Does she have difficulty expressing fear or anxiety? In my experience, they seem to lash out at those they are most sure of. I agree with momslikeme, pay attention to her "triggers". Also, try not to react to the hateful words. Wait until she is calm to talk about it and let her know that words hurt & sorry doesn't always heal it. Good Luck to you Mom!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If it really is that serious, I would ask for help at the school, talk to the counselor to maybe get some advice and counseling for her and you.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2010