5 year olds

What are your biggest challenges with your 5 year old? What are your tips and tricks and suggestions?
(Respectfully requesting that physical punishment not be mentioned or suggested. Thanks for understanding! :o)

Sarahsdawn

Asked by Sarahsdawn at 10:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• My dd will be 7 soon, but time-outs worked for her or to take away things she liked to do like computer time or TV. My kid likes to be quite sassy at times and needs to reign it in!! Once I really stuck to my guns on the time-outs or whatever she did realize I wasn't going to be a push over and she knows now when she's stepped over then line...
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• At five, they can be a bit sassy and mine didn't listen. Time outs work for some kids and not for others. I took away playdates and allowance.
    Anonymous

• favorite parenting books for 5 year olds? Most of the books that have applied so well for younger ages end up nearly null and void at this stage of development, it seems.
    Sarahsdawn

Comment by Sarahsdawn (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'm not sure! LOL Mine is 4 and I'm already wondering how we're going to last until 18 or older!! hehe She is already sassy, but her feelings get hurt SO easy :( I'd suggest a corner (or wall)... dd hates that!
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 12:15 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• The 5 love languages of children is a good one. Google books for that age range. We use time outs consistantly and it works well for us. He is 5 and a bit sassy, but we check him every time. It is normal.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:16 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I see this is an older question, but may I suggest the book, Your Five Year Old: Sunny and Serene, By: Louise Bates Ames(I believe). Just for anyone who may need some resources.
    myfirstloves

Answer by myfirstloves at 8:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2011