Whats the best thing to do to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke?

Im not a smoker, my MIL is. We dont allow smoking in the house but she INSISTS on it anyways.

Oh yeah...and she lives here with us...

britters4423

Asked by britters4423 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• ew do you let her smoke around ur kids? i hope not.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• She insists? Really? You've gotta get that husband to change that.
    Try waving around a cloth soaked in vinegar....really.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yuck! I would be livid and ask her to leave if she can not respect your house rules. It is your house not hers....She needs to smoke outside.

Open up the house and get the smell out. Wipe everything down.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Open all the windows, wash down every surface, spray Febreeze on all furniture until the smell is gone. Then you need to put your foot down and INSIST she smoke OUTSIDE. It is your house, your kids and if she doesn't like the rules, she doesn't come over. Harsh, yes, but your health and your child's health is the most important not to mention her RESPECTING your rules.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If she smokes in the house you can't get rid of it. We are non smokers. We bought a house that a former smoker lived in. It took us over a year to get the smell out. We removed all carpeting, cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, painted all of the walls with kilz, a special paint that helps covers stains and smells, and then with paint, and had to paint certain rooms and believe it or not closets too....more than once. closets because he had stored clothing and jackets in them that smelled like smoke.

It will be in the fabric on your sofa, and blankets....everything. You can't get rid of it until the smoking is gone.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• not sure, I'm a smoker myself but I somke outside or in my garage when it's cold..... but thats my choice not to smoke in my own house.... jus gotta put ur foot down...
    hotmamma1984

Answer by hotmamma1984 at 2:07 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Sorry???? Um your house, she lives with you? No smoking, hit the door grannie!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• YOU ARE IN CHARG, THERE IS NO INSISTING! i SMOKE AND NEVER DO AROUND MY KIDS! pUT YOUR FOOT DOWN, OR GET OVER IT!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2010