how do i get my 2 year old to go potty?

my two year will tell me after he has went potty in his pull up. we take him every two hrs, and he will just sit there and play with things behind him. he will not sit still long. we have tried different pull up.

badensmom

Asked by badensmom at 10:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is too young, be glad he's telling you at all.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I done that "lets go potty" thing too! My son was almost 3 before he got it. He done the same thing. He still isn't completely night time trained. We tried dvds, we tried prizes, we tried pullups, easy ups, etc, and nothing worked. I asked his dr and was told that all I was doing was stressing myself and him out. She told me not push it. Every now and then I would i mention that when he was a big boy and wore big boy underwear and peed and pooped in the potty he could .......(whatever he was wanting to do that big kids do) He woke up on morning and said he wanted to wear big boy underwear and be a big boy. From that point on we have only had 3 or 4 accidents and it has been over 9 months!! Good luck and relax. I was told that boys don't usually potty train until 3 or 4!!!
    NDNichol

Answer by NDNichol at 11:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• They say that around 36 months is really the opportune time to start potty training, so he is probably just not ready yet. My DD wanted to sit on the potty at about 18 months by choice so she had a seat for the toilet, but she did not actually fully potty train until about 3 and she is 4 now we are still working on night training.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 11:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You wait until HE is ready. I also would NOT wake him up every 2 hours, he needs his sleep. He will train when he is ready and not anytime sooner.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• thank all of ur. to tyfry7496 we dont wake him up in the night. and when he sleeps he hold it and when he wakes up from a nap he is dry but we take him in there and does nothing. when he goes pee in the pull up he will tell me after he has peed and then wants to go to the potty. i ask him if he wants to be a big boy he tells me no.
    badensmom

Comment by badensmom (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• The secret is being patient, and do not shame him if he has an accident, just sit him back on the potty and say we go pee or poo on the potty. and keep up the good work =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Just be patient Mami. Training boys is hard, I have 3! The twins are almost 4 and about 6 mths ago finally got both of them fully trained. Now that he is telling you that he HAS gone, I think that he is ready to be introduced to a potty chair. You have to understand that their whole life, the pee and poop has never "fallen" away from the body, so for it to do that on the potty, can actually be alittle scary for him. When he does go, praise him, When he doesnt go, give encouragement like " that was a good try buddy, maybe next time". Just remember that every child is different and moves at a different pace through ALL stages and phases.
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 7:09 AM on Nov. 24, 2010