If you receive child support, do you actually pocket it?

Or does it go somewhere else?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 11:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• The child support I receive goes towards rent, electric, clothes...etc.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 11:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• What do you mean by "pocket it"? It goes in MY checking account with the rest of my money to go towards rent, utilities, food, clothes, school things for my son. Where else would it go? I don't get much, so it doesn't go very far.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Tyfry that was exactly what I was thinking, I don't get child support but all parents I knew who did, did not run out and spend it directly on the child. It went towards all the household expenses.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 11:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• it goes with everything to run my household. Its by far not enough but it is enough to help
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• no, it goes where its supposed too. to my children, taking care of their needs is more important
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Mines goes to my children when they need it.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:08 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My ex lived off student loans, now he's unemployed. I get $25 a month in child support, lol....it just goes into the checking....he's so broke he hasn't even paid Novembers yet. Don't really need it...
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I was just curious. By "pocket it" I mean putting it in your account. I wasn't sure how it worked.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would think by putting it in you account it is still going to your children so I don't view it as "pocketing" it because you use your account to pay the bills, feed, and clothe the child and if someone was well enough off that they did not need it for that I would imagine then it could go in an account for the kids for college or something. The BM use to give the CS my hubby paid to SD as an allowance......that seemed a bit weird to me and an awful heafty allowance for a child that did not earn it. I would think she could have been wiser about things, but I guess not up to me.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 1:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It all went to my kids. Every Penny.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2010