Working out while pregnant

Hello, I don't mind gaining baby weight, I loved being pregnant with my son. I am newly pregnant and was curious if it is possible to still tone my arms, butt and thighs while being pregnant? Have you or anyone you know of gotten in better shape while BEING pregnant?

Fallon_Long

Asked by Fallon_Long at 11:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• of couse you can
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I've never known anyone that has gotten in BETTER shape while pregnant but I've known people that kept their shape for the most part and didn't gain more than the recommended amount of weight. As far as I know, working out is okay during pregnancy as long as you were working out prior to pregnancy. And I also thought I heard that one you hit the 2nd trimester, you shouldn't lift anything heavier than 40 or 50lbs.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• working out while pregnant is good! It helps your body prepare for childbirth
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Thanks guys!
    Fallon_Long

Comment by Fallon_Long (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• you can also look into workouts specific to pregnancy.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• First, talk to your doctor to get the OK. Swimming and walking are generally considered safe while pregnant. Be aware that your center of gravity is off, making you more prone to falls. Also, you're more likely to pull something, because of a hormone called relaxin that helps your pelvis open during delivery. It also relaxes all of your ligaments and tendons, so be careful. I lifted weights prior to pregnancy, so I continued, as well as walking, swimming and cycling. Make sure you drink plenty of water, and if you start to get light headed (something else pregnant women are prone to ), STOP. Keep a snack handy, to keep your blood sugar steady. If you have lifted weights before, be aware you will likely need to lower the amount of weight you are lifting.
    I hope this helps!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Be sure to talk your doctor, but yes you can workout, Yoga is good for toning, swimming is good for relaxation and walking is always great for stretching.
    Good luck to you and congrats!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Anything you did as far as exercise before you got pregnant you can continue to do when you are pregnant. You just shouldn't begin something new once you are pregnant. My sister took karate the entire time she was pregnant.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:04 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I would confirm w/ your doc. I would think ts fine, just don't lift any weights too heavy
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Baby Ready Yoga, Walking
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2011