my 3 year old has started to poop in his pants about a week ago and I dont know what to do please help? he never had accidents until his little brother was born and not until he was 2 weeks old and I am so confussed

Devonsmommy2007

Asked by Devonsmommy2007 at 12:03 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Regression is normal, just don't make a big issue of it. He'll adjust in time.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 12:05 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• sounds like he is having a hard time letting go of being the baby. its a normal reaction for kids to start acting like a baby again when a new one comes around. i would just start coming up with "big boy" things that only he gets to do, and really make a big deal out of how big he is and how much more he can do now. help get him excited about it.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 12:06 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I have tired all those things and I am not sure if its the baby or the fact that I am a single mom of 2 and his daddy comes and goes so much that he is stressing about that cause he normally just does it at home and never anywhere else and I am just so confused about it all I feel like I am just going to break down at any moment I just want to give up on it all already
    Devonsmommy2007

Comment by Devonsmommy2007 (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It sounds like he has a lot of stressors in his life. Pooping his pants probably takes him back to a time when he was a baby/toddler and you nurtured and loved him like you do your new baby. It also sounds like you have a lot of stressors in your life. My daughter did similar things when her baby brother was born. My husband was in Iraq and she was only 2, but she did all sorts of regression.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• show him how many things that big boys get to do by letting him wear a diaper and poop his pants but babies cant do things like color, play dough, certain toys, and that if he is a baby he cant do these things but if he wants to be a big boy and use the potty he can have big boy things back..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Regression is totally normal, especially in boys. You can google it, and it will give sites with helpful hints. Just please please remember, if you make this a battle, and let him know this makes you nuts, you will lose! You can lead a horse to water so to speak, so just remain calm. Spend extra time with him when you can. Hold him or let him on your lap a lot. Let him "take care" of the baby with you. This will pass.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:08 AM on Nov. 24, 2010