How do you feel about No Kill Animal Shelters?

I personally will not support a No Kill Shelter, they result in more and more animals being tossed out on their ass rather than actually being put down humanely... But more and more shelters are going "No Kill" because that's the only way to get the funding...

Which makes me wonder how people really feel about them and why people feel that way.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:04 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Pets

• I see where you are coming from with this. I've often wondered about the pros and cons myself. When I got my dog in Kentucky at a no kill shelter, they were just a young couple housing dogs that no one else wanted or would adopt from the local humane society. I think they had a total of about 10-12 dogs at that time. Several of the dogs had been abused and they knew they would be housing them indefinitely. But they had a farm. My dog was a great little guy though and I feel very fortunate to have him.

However, there is a designated "no kill" shelter nearby that I just can't stand to even step foot in. It's a small building where all the dogs are cages in very small areas. They will be staying there until they are adopted out. That place is so sad. It makes you wonder how great that idea really is.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My mother cleans out houses when people move out, so if she gets blankets or something she always donates them to local shelters. She was there one day when a guy came in with his dog, who was older, they were being forced to move and couldn't take the family dog. The lady who was working said they couldn't take the dog because they didn't have room. The guy made if very clear that if they didn't take the dog he was simply going to toss it out on the way home... After the guy had left my mom said something to the lady who told her it happens all the time. Because they can't kill the animals who aren't adopted they are usually full and can't take new animals in so the owners just leave them behind or toss them out the car when they leave...

I'm sorry, I would much rather an animal be "put down" than have them starve in some abandoned house or hit by a car on a highway...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I like the idea of it -- that good animals won't be put to sleep, but given good homes; but the reality is really sad -- poor creatures who may never see the outside of a tiny cage.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 12:21 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Like so many other ideals today, in theory they are great, but reality doesn't live up to it. I would rather put my energy and money into spay and nuter clinics, trying to solve the problem not put a bandaid on it.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 12:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• wow that is extremely sad i didnt realize people would just throw them out to get rid of them. breaks my heart
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think that more people need to start adopting dogs and taking care of the ones they have so it won't be an issue. This is something I'm really passionate about. While I absolutely HATE the idea of animals being put to sleep, I see your point.I also hate the idea of a dog out in the freezing cold, hungry. I support the intention behind No Kill Shelters, but unfortunately they don't always work well because people are breeding their dogs like crazy and not enough people are taking them in.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:47 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• This seriously upsets me even thinking about. If I could, I'd take in every dog out there!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• a big part of the problem starts at puppy mills and breeders. Its sad. People intentionally create another animal to be cared for, in a world where so many are already desperate for a home.
    Sarahsdawn

Answer by Sarahsdawn at 1:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I used to volunteer at a no kill shelter and I saw many animals go insane because they had been there to long. Even though the dogs got outside a lot and the cats were not stuck in their cages all day they still lived in cages. There were some animals that had been there for years and that to me is cruel. As much as I hate to see animals euthenized sometimes it is a necessary evil.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:50 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think that they should have a limit on to when they can not kill the animals. Sad to say it but some animals do go insane from being in one place (caged) for so long. I think that a good policy would be 6 months for cats and 8 months for dogs and then off them...i am not trying to be mean but some of the animals will never find a home or a good one for that matter being there longer than that. LovingSAHMommy and KyliesMom5 have great points that I agree with....
    Ellie4040

Answer by Ellie4040 at 7:42 AM on Nov. 24, 2010