Family borrowing money...WWYD (More added)

My family borrows money quite a bit.
I helped my mom on a down payment for her house.

I bought a house and let my sister, who is a college student, stay in it for free, I just ask her to make sure the renovations I schedule get done in a timely manner.  I paid for her tuition.  I give her $250 a month just for whatever she needs.  But she pays for her own car. ( I feel like she's a college student, I want her to focus)  She's 19 now and as long as her GPA stays over a 3.0 I'm okay with paying.

Now my issue is, because I help my sister out so much, and they heard about my mom getting her down payment taken care of, My hubby's siblings are now HOUNDING us for CASH.  The issue is, 1. is his sister, doesn't do anything, no aspirations 2. his older brother is always asking and he also is doing nothing  and the only one I would really help at this point is the one who would never ask.

I bring in a good amount of money.  We'll just leave it at it's 6 figures.  My Hubby brings in about half of what I do.  So I call the shots with the bills.  I don't really want to give his sister and brother money.  The sister is asking for 2k  and the brother is asking for money so he can go back to school.  I said when he is actually enrolled, send the tuition statement.

Am I being too unfair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I think you are perfectly fair, why give to someone who doesn't earn it?
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If they pay you back and you are comfortable lending, then go for it. If you have a reason why you think it isn't a good idea then follow your instincts and just tell them you can't do it next time they ask.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:33 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I agree with you, I wouldn't lend to inlaws because you are much more likely to get mad and stay mad if they don't pay you back.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 2:17 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Never loan money you can't afford to lose.

As the banks recently found out, to their very great expense, lending money is a gamble. Sometimes it's a sensible gamble, but it's never a guaranteed gamble.

If you can afford to lose the money forever, and want to, loaning money is fine. I am not in a position to do it which happily coincides with my family not needing it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:38 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• you are generous..if you can afford to help and w ant to help then go for it
    cornfused

Answer by cornfused at 2:17 AM on Nov. 24, 2010