Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Car seat violation

I would like to know if there is a way to report a car seat violation when it comes to my own child. Can't it be considered child endangerment? My EX-husband has pulled my daughter who only turned 4 in Aug and only weighs 37 lbs and put her in a booster seat (non backing). I bought and paid for two britax frontier's and he won't take them saying I am emotionally and socially harming our kids. The state law states 40 lbs but she is not 40 lbs... DHS says they won't do anything because he is not sexually or physically abusing them. He is endangering my child, who can I get involved to protect my child?!?!?

Answer Question

Asked by worriedmomof2 at 1:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I wish I knew. I wish there was a cut and dry way to report that (one of my peeved with parents, too). Here's a bump for you, though! I hope someone has a good answer!!

    Answer by musicpisces at 4:54 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • My kids have been in a booster for a long time...before 4, but they always met the weight requirements 1st. Try calling the non emergency number and ask them.

    Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:05 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • Speak to your lawyer. If you feel your children are in danger, you need to speak to them and get their advice.

    Answer by baboluchi56 at 5:28 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • I would just get on the phone and start calling around asking that question. Maybe start with the police department or social services and just start investigating the answer yourself and see who can help you.

    Answer by kristinashley24 at 9:01 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • I'd call your attorney car seat safteyis a big issue however you may not be able to force him in to compliance. I'd also let him know that many kindergartners -2nd graders come to school in carseats. I'd say the reason he wants the low profile booster is so he cane easily take it out for dates and so his girlfriends dont know he has young kids

    Answer by mtnaspen at 9:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • On all miltary posts, a booster with no back is fine age 3 and up! Mine are 3 and 4 and have only a seat! So, I mean I think you jut want to hurt him! They are fine!

    Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • Jolee12345

    WOW I am amazed that you think they are fine. I feel sorry for your kids. Look at the crash tests for booster seats. I feel sorry for your kids if you ever get in an accident. My children were in a 4 car collision because my EX husband blacked out at the wheel so no I am not "trying" to hurt him, I want my kids safe. My kids are my miracles I was never supposed to be able to have them so I am very protective over them. Still you need to check out the crash tests and you tube ( )

    Comment by worriedmomof2 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • I have called DHS and filed a complaint with them and they said they sent it to law enforcement but cant enforce it until he gets pulled over and DHS wont do anything unless he is physically or sexually abusing them. I would like to say that in the last email i received from him it stated that he says that if I leave my kids in the Britax Frontier that I will socially and emotionally harm my kids. Since when does protecting them means I am socially harming them. The school my daughter goes to most of the kids there are in Britax car seats. He says now it is just because I watched some you tube video is the reason that I want the kids in those seats. It is true I watched a you tube video but it was when i was only pregnant with my now 4 year old and he was watching it right there with me. Only since he moved in with his mother has his thoughts changed on the protection of our kids. I am not ok with this ....

    Comment by worriedmomof2 (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.