my 4 year old son only wants to be with his dad

my 4 year old boy only wants his dad and has little interest in being with us. He lives with his dad a lot due to this. I don't want to force him to be with me and worry about how out of control this all is. I am stricter than his dad and work sometimes long hours. His dad doesn't work at all.My son waits at the front window sobbing for his dad when he comes here. He has a lot of love and attention here but can be impossible . Please help. We love him so much and don't know what to do anymore.

Sal96

Asked by Sal96 at 2:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I figure your son is extreemly attatched to his father because he has a lot of time to give him his .undivided attention, where it seems like you can't due to work. If it were me, instead of letting him sit there and cry and be miseable, do something different, don't make him come to your house and wonder when dad is comming back? Do short visits, take hime somewhere, have the dad meet you at a place that he's gonna enjoy! That way he sees that mommy isn't the bad person! Build a relationship with your son first, hes still very young, then as he gets older he will have built a better relationship with you and most likely not mind staying with you. Believe me I know first hand, that this is a critical moment for this little guy and what he's going through is separation anxiety. You can make or break this relationship right now! Try short little fun visits for a while! My 16 yr. old hates her father from mem. like this!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:57 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Yep don't let him sit around and cry build your relationship with him by doing fun things.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• try to do things to keep his mind off dad... my girls live with me and their father, however my little one is attached to my leg 99% of the time. when i leave the house to do ANYTHING she sobs until i come home... honestly its just the way kids are.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2010