After all of the bills are paid

Who makes the decisions as to where excess money goes?

You or Your Husband?

Who makes the Money? Who makes more?

Do you go 50/50 if he makes more? What about if you make more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• Everything is joint for us - it doesn't matter who earned it. We both decide where to spend our money, but dh does more of the hands-on work for our finances.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 8:01 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• We decide together no matter who is making more money at the time. He makes more money than me now, but it the past I made more than him. It doesn't matter who earned it because we are a partnership.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 8:54 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I wish we had exess money, lol!
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 2:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Who makes the decisions as to where excess money goes? I usually lay out a plan and then we agree on it together.

Who makes the Money? Who makes more? Both of us, but he makes more.

Do you go 50/50 if he makes more? What about if you make more? Um no. We don't do his and her money. I think when we get to a point where we have an allowance then we'll probably split it 50/50. But it depends on what each of us wants to do with the money. Right now if one of us wants something we have to put it in the budget first.

Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:31 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• THE THING THAT I FIND WORKS THE BEST IS AFTER YOU PAY BILLS, WE SIT DOWN AND WRITE DOWN THE NEEDS WE HAVE OR EXTRA EXPENCES THAT MIGHT BE COMING UP, AND THEN THE REST GO'S INTO SAVINGS AND WE SPEND IT ON A SUMMER FAMILY TRIP SO WE ALL WORK TOWARDS THE GOAL INCLUDING THE KID'S CHORE MONEY. IT HAS BEEN A FAMILY GOAL FOR TWO YEARS NOW AND WE HAVE HAD SOME REALLY GOOD FAMILY VACATIONS.
    carrielynn78

Answer by carrielynn78 at 5:11 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Who makes the decisions as to where excess money goes?  excess money, we have not had any of that in awhile 

You or Your Husband? If we had any excess, we would both decide

Who makes the Money? Who makes more? We both make money, I make more.

Do you go 50/50 if he makes more? What about if you make more? We go 50/50 all the money is household money. 

Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:16 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Hubby works to support us. I do some stuff from home, but he makes much more than I do. I pay the bills, buy the groceries and put gas in the car. If we have any leftover after that it's not squandered, usually it is used for something one of the kids needs or for working on the house. It's not a him or me kind of thing, it's what needs to be taken care of.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:42 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It's a joint decision about where the money goes, no matter who makes more. When my husband and I were both working, I was making more money than he was and getting more hours. Even with just him working, it's a joint decision. If we have money left over after bills, gas for the car (ha), and groceries, we send what we can to his ex-wife for their son.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• He makes more. When we have excess money I'm sure we will have a discussion about it.

No, we get what we need and if we have extra money we pay more bills or buy tires for the car or buy some good groceries. We live simply, but if there is enough left over I will splurg on a haircut or buy him some clothes. We don't have enough money to fight over who gets what.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• What's his is mine and what's mine is his. No one person has more control over the money than the other.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2010