How does Ebay selling work?

I have heard that loads of moms make extra money doing this and apparently so did my SO, last year he handed me a little pamphlet (you know the ones you see in the grocery store while standing in the check-out line). I told him when he first gave it to me, "I am pretty sure I would need a pay-pal account and/or a credit card to even begin to do something like that, because you need to establish a rating on the site and the higher the rating as a good seller, the better your business"!!! But I have a horrible credit rating and do not use credit or debit cards of any sort (only cash), he only has a debit card in his name but I am not going to do any type of work under someone else's name. So tell me please, oh wise EBAY ones.... is it possile for me to make real money(cash in hand) in this way? I doubt it, but I hope someone says I am wrong.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 3:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• HotMama.....eBay does require a checking account or credit card on file for their fees payments......BUT bad credit where you can't get a credit card or a checking account means NO selling on ebay unless you use someone else's! So while they don't check credit history, if your history sucks and you can't even get a checking account you are out of luck.

And anyone can open a "personal" paypal account and sell without being a business! I sold for years before getting a "premier" account with paypal.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Yes, you do need a Paypal account, but you do not need a card. All you need is a checking account. All you have to do is sign up for Paypal, and they will guide you from there. Once your checking account is comfirmed and linked to Paypal, you will be able to sell on Ebay. When you sell an item, the purchaser will then deposit the money in to your Paypal account, and you can withdraw it from Paypal in to your bank account, and the retrieve it from your bank.
    PinkDiamond717

Answer by PinkDiamond717 at 3:21 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• You can go to Walmart and buy a Green Dot Visa card. You can use that to secure your Paypal account, I believe. However, your using limits for Paypal will be less. You can find out all you need to by going to eBay and clicking on the Community Tab at the Right Top, read everything you can in the Answer center and the Discussion Forum.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:11 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I do not have a valid checking account either, now what?
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 3:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Yeah you can use one of those pre paid credit cards as long as you keep cash on it for ebay fees and such. I'm not sure if ebay still requires a checking account on file....if you don't have one, open one, or use SO's.

I sell used clothing on ebay and if I am consistant with listing 12-15 things a week I roughly make about $120-$150 on those items after paypal fees and ebay fees. I will then spend $20-$30 of that on buying more things to sell. So I roughly keep $100 a week. That's a lot less than what I used to do. At my highest I did about $500 profit a week.

I have friends who between her ebay and facebook sales does over $10,000 a month!!!! But she's a power house when i comes to buying and selling.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I don't see why a Green Dot card wouldn't work. Double check with their guidelines to see if a checking account is necessary still.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Ebay does not check your credit history. Also, there would be no way you could accept credit cards without being a business. The everyday sell uses PayPal. PayPal does not do a credit check either. However, you would need a checking or savings account to establish an account. People can make good money doing this, but you need to know what is hot and how to price it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• You don't even have to have a checking account. You do have to have paypal account, though. You can have them mail you a check when you want to withdraw money from your account. It is possible to make money selling on ebay. I used to make about $100 a week selling stuff I bought at garage sales. To save time, buy a postal scale (about $20). That way you can print postage right from your house and you don't have to wait in line at the post office.
    homejobsformom

Answer by homejobsformom at 10:02 AM on Nov. 26, 2010