RUDE SIL

Keep in mind I LOVE my dh, and every1 in his family.. but my SIL is SO rude!! She interrupts me when I talk, she is ALWAYS critisizing me, she literally thinks she is better than everyone else, and she laughs anytime you say something, like it's stupid.. oh AND when she comes over she walks right in our house with out knocking, and she also threw a FIT bc my dh wouldn't let her see our bedroom.. she's all "I'm family!" and like I dont have any problem with MY sis coming in our BR bc my sis and I are close but this girl.. the first time I met her she went in our BR without asking and was going through my closet! I do like her tho, she is very fun to hang out with, but she is just SOOO rude, and we actually got into a verbal fight once.. bc she cracked a joke abt starrbucks and I laughed and she was all "Do you even know what Starrbucks is" like WTH does that mean?! I live in the country so she is always implying that I am a bumpkin or something.. AHHH! Help! lol

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 3:02 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• No offense but u need to put ur foot down in ur own house....when she comes in ur house u stop her bum at the door and tell her what u are going to allow and not allow. if she doesnt want to accept that u tell her to turn around out ur door until she is ready to obey them, say if u guys are out in public at a family event...just ignore her since she doesnt have any kind of respect for u at all.
    MummyLuv

Answer by MummyLuv at 3:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• How old is she? She lacks self esteem. The best way to handle this type of rudenss is to be overly gracious. Continuously model proper behavior. She will either come around or see that you are miles ahead of her and back off because it is not causing the drama that she wants.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:57 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Rude ppl/bullies have a lot in common. They are crying out for help/attention. What you need to find out is when did this start & why. If she's always been this way, its usually because someone made fun of her & put her down. Now the only way she knows how get attention is being rude. Try finding out some things she enjoys doing. Try bringing out the best part in her. Like you said she likes joking around. Maybe you could invest in a joke book. Uncle Johns Bathroom book is full of jokes & other information. Learn some things that she doesn't know about, but might be interested in. Talk about it. When she starts being rude, don't show any reaction or comment. Learn to continue on with what you were saying. She'll only antagonize you if she knows she can. I know this because my husband use to do it! I talk about something else or excuse myself to make a phone call. They hate being ignored! Hope this helps & lov'em with kindness!
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 7:16 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• IT SOUNDS TO ME THAT YOU NEED TO SIT DOWN WITH YOUR FAMILY AND ALL GET ON THE SAME PAGE
    carrielynn78

Answer by carrielynn78 at 7:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• How old is she? I have a single sil who lives next door. She was like that but as she got older she stopped being an a@@. GL and know the feeling.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• honestly if you know she is coming over lock the front door that will make her knock on it....as for your bedroom post a sign that says no one allowed.....if these hints dont work then flat out tell her she is being rude....i find honest work best with most people....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Sheis my age.. 23 but seriously acts like she is 15. I DO love her to death, she is alot of fun, but when she gets around other people she has to show her a$$. I dont get it! Ok if you just met your dh's sis and she came over and was walking around your house in her bra and underwear wouldn't you be like... WTH? I'm not saying that I am all proper by any means but my gosh! She does this to everyone, and it makes everyone uncomfortable, even her own grandmother! It's just rude! Or like when you go to eat somewhere, she will just pick up random stuff off your plate and start eating it... ???! Once I had a buger and ate only half of it, I didn't want anymore (Probably bc something pissed me off that day) So she goes "Are you gonna eat that?" and just picked it up and started eating it! She really doesn't realize (I dont think) that she is SO RUDE! Because her mother babies her. Dh has said that his parents were divorced...
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Comment by WhitneyMommyOf2 (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• ...When she was 15 and their mother felt guilty for "Putting her through that" so she basically spoiled her all the time and told her she was always right, and she has a REALLY WIERD way of showing affection.. Dh said that she used to call her own mother "Fat cow" all the time, like "Shut up Fat Cow!" and the mother would be all "Oh your so cute!" Plz tell me that this is NOT normal!? BTW the mother and her have some really wierd habbits.. for instance.. once I was on my MIL computer and I was on FB and when I closed it out I saw my name on a icon.. I was like WTF.. It was pictures that were taken from inside her house once when DH and I were outside eating.. like even close ups of our faces... A bit odd I think! Oh and DH's mom use to record all his phone calls.. Anyway I am getting off track here! SIL the very first time I ever saw her was at a family gathering, and she had not seen DH in a couple years bc they live ..
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Comment by WhitneyMommyOf2 (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• ...Far away, She completely Ignored me the whole time we were there, she insisted that at dinner he sit beside her, and not me..(OK??) the rest of the time she was like hugging him standing there with her arms around him starring at me..This just seems odd to me, I swear she might as well have said "He's my brother, not urs" Just odd! Then she was constantly a critic, I would be smoking a cig and she would say "U know Brandon (Who is my DH) doesn't like it when ppl smoke while he eats" or Brandon doesn't like this/that..blah blah blah.OMG and the biggest thing of all time was when DH had some pics of his ex, who was her friend.. he got rid of all of the pics, and the only ones that were left had my SIL in them so he thought she might want them, he gave them to her and she goes "Dont u think u should keep these, What if you have kids someday, they can know who their mother COULD have been" ARE YOU SERIOUS!!?
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Comment by WhitneyMommyOf2 (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010