resume help

I need help putting together a great resume. I have one right now, but it is not good. I am terrible at puting one together. I am not looking for any sites, I have found them. I am wondering if anyone can give me any detailed tips for putting one together. here is the problem. I have been out of work for five years due to the cost of child care. now that the kids are all in school I can work full time. I need to be able to fill in the gaps in employment and also let the employers know I have a great work ethic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• Did you have any volunteer work during that time? You could list that, and if it shows off your great work ethic, that's great. Otherwise, slip in the skills and such youlearned during the years you were home. Remember, you don't have to arrange your resume in chronological order - that shows off date gaps - but you could list it is skill sets, or something like that.

A few articles I thought had good advice, too:

http://www.suite101.com/content/a-stayathome-moms-resume-a71471
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 8:01 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• oh, BTW, if you want to send it to me, I have helped others before, but I am NOT a professional. Good luck!
    .science.mom.

• I was going to post my minus the personal information, but it was too many characters. Don't abuse the bullets, list your abilities, skills, and accomplishments as you list your jobs.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Just be upfront and honest about why you weren't working. Let them know it was a lifestyle choice. Go into as much detail as you can about your last job. Anything older than 10 years old can be lumped together. Include any classes you've taken, freelance work, and volunteer work.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• All good suggestions above - also focus on the skills you could bring to the employer, go into detail about your duties at your previous positions. Be sure the resume is clear and concise, no spelling or grammatical errors.

Write a well thought out cover letter. The extra effort will pay off.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• thanks for the great ideas. as soon as I have a decent looking resume, I will start on how to write a good cover letter. I have been helping with my kids school. I guess I can list that on there as well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:53 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I do career and job search coaching; I never charge CafeMoms for my services. I will be happy to help you with resumes, coverletters, job search strategy, etc.

There are great tips and resources posted in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Sorry, I did not mean to post that anon!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• It's perfectly acceptable to have a gap in employment. Make sure you point out that in the time gap you were a homemaker. Also, list any volunteer activities. Were you on a board for a church or school? Did you organize any fundraisers for children's groups? ETC Think outside the box.
    homejobsformom

Answer by homejobsformom at 9:37 AM on Nov. 26, 2010