I NEED IDEAS TO TEACH MY CHILDREN THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS LIKE FEEDING THE HOMELESS OR HANDING OUT GIFTS TO CHILDREN THAT ARE SICK.

I WANT TO DO SOMETHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY FOR MY KIDS TO CONTRIBUTE WITH THE GIVING PART OF CHRISTMAS. OVER THIS PAST YEAR THEY HAVE REALLY GOTTEN TO BE DISRESPECTFUL AND ARE TAKING WHAT WE HAVE FOR GRANTED. THEY DON'T REALIZE WHAT IT MIGHT BE FOR OTHERS. I NEED SOMETHING THAT WOULD JUST REALLY MOVE THEM IN A WAY THAT THEY WOULD APPRECIATE WHAT THEY HAVE. WITH THE WAY THE ECONOMY IS RIGHT NOW MY BOYFRIEND AND I HAVE BEEN BOTH LAID OFF OF WORK, AND CAN'T SEEM TO FIND A JOB. MY PARENTS ARE PAYING MY RENT AND I AM BARELY ABLE TO PAY PUD, AND WATER. SO IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE, AND A EYE OPENING CHRISTMAS THAT WELL CHANGE THERE LIVES.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Holidays

• Not sure how old your kids are but mine are 1 and 4 we are going tomorrow to pick names off a hearts tree then i am taking them to walmart so they can pick out an outfit and toy for the kid they picked and we will go drop off the stuff at the YMCA on post(we are military).
    momoftatertots

Answer by momoftatertots at 4:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• How old are they? That makes a difference in what they can do. You can do the giving tree or toys for tots, or you can adopt a family to buy a holiday meal for (turkey, potatoes, stuffing, pie, etc). If they're old enough, you can all get together and volunteer somewhere, like a shelter or soup kitchen.
    We make it a family policy that for holidays and birthdays, we take a certain amount of money, and the person whose birthday it is gets to decide what charitable thing we're doing with the set amount (for Christmas, we will be donating food and toys). I think it will teach DS (who's still too young to understand at 2, but start them young!) about being giving and helping out those less fortunate, that everyone needs a hand up sometimes. If your kids are old enough, there are lots of volunteer opportunities out there.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• We're  donating to Heifer International,  as a family we sat down and decided what we would donate to the organization. We also don't food to our local food pantry, and I have the kids help select what we send. I also send money to a local organization that feeds  people in need.

Also we get  information about a family in need from our church and buy some gifts for them, I have my kids get involved in shopping for the items.

I'd like to help out as a family at a warming center or food kitchen but I think the kids usually have to be 16 before they allow them to help there.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:35 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• One of the most memorable Thanksgivings was when we served dinner at the shelter for the homeless. My kids were 8 and 18. My oldest was out to sea.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:37 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Me and my family always go to a nursing home. We give gift to people that don't have any family. They look forward to it every year.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:50 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• We used to take our son down to the mission and help prepare and serve a holiday meal to the homeless.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 9:08 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If money is tight, one thing you can do (depending on how old your children are) is go to a nursing home and read to them or just sit and talk. I used to work in a nursing home and that was just huge for them and made their day to have someone sit and spend time with them and actually pay attention to what they have to say. That meant the world to them and was just as good as any present.
    Jillian686

Answer by Jillian686 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2010