Why would my doctor prescribe Macrobid when I am taking Nexium?

I am 34 weeks pregnant and have a UTI. The Doctor prescribed Macrobid to treat it. When reading the info papers, it states not to use with a medication that contains Magnesium. I have been on Nexium for 5 years..If i miss a dose I spend the day throwing up..

Andrea0209

Asked by Andrea0209 at 4:35 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Health

• Sometimes things slip the minds of doctors and sometimes I think they aren't as aware as the pharmacy of what happens with meds and med mixing.
    My husband was given loratab for having his wisdom teeth removed while on Adderall, a very BAD combo.
    When I had my son and went to go pick up my post baby meds there should have been the good strong IBs well since I was also restarting my lithium it turns out that little did my OB know that you can't mix lithium and IBs becuase the ibs cancel the lithium. So I had to just take plain old tylenol.
    I suggest you give your doc a call, or your pharmacist, and explain. They'll get you something different. Macrobid is just hte standard pregnant lady uti med of choice. Ick.
    Also, this is why I always check to find out what a doc is perscribing me, wellt hat and about half try to give me penicillan which I can't have.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 4:40 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Like Jade said, sometimes these things slip the minds of doctors, though I'm surprised the pharmacist didn't catch it. Often times, the doctor has to check with the pharmacist, and often times, doctors do end up prescribing meds that interact badly with each other. Call your doctor asap, and see what else they can prescribe that won't interact with your mag.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:50 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Sometimes doctors get so busy and have so many patients that they are dealing with that they forget that you are already taking a certain medication. I ALWAYS talk to my pharmacist over my doctor about the meds that are prescribed me, because that is solely what they do... learn the side effects and interactions of the medicines... I have found that I like the pharmacists at Publix down in GA because they actually really take the time to talk with you and get to know you... but I am still looking for a specific pharmacy out here in UT.... Hopefully I won't have to find one any time soon... Hopefully no one in my family gets sick... and I don't plan on getting pregnant any time soon! (I just had my second 5 months ago)
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 8:54 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Thank you! I called my pharmacist this morning and told them. I tried to call my doctor but forgot it was the day before thanksgiving..lol. My pharmacist told me that I should be fine, so long as I take them an hour apart.
    Andrea0209

Comment by Andrea0209 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2010