AT WHAT AGE SHOULD I START POTTY TRAINING MY SON HE WELL BE 2 YRS OLD IN JANUARY

CONFUSED ON WHEN TO START POTTY TRAINING

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can start whenever you want to! I started my boys around 1 year (give or take some months depending on the child). If he is not showing signs of understanding it, your first step is just getting him to figure out what it is he needs to do on the toilet. This means catching him actually going on the potty! With my second born I put him on for 6 months before I FINALLY caught him going - after that he figured it out fairly quickly. With my first born, he figured out what I wanted in a couple of days. Once he KNOWS what he is supposed to do, it is just a matter of teaching him to only do it in the potty and for him to figure out what it feels like when he needs to go.

Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Now would be a good time to get a potty chair and introduce it to him... although boys are harder to potty train than girls are. My twins were almost 3 1/2 before they were trained day and night. It really depends on the child and when they start to express an intrest in going to the potty. If he is telling you that he is wet or has gone poop, then he may be ready to start trying to use the potty. Just remember that potty training doesnt happen over night and can take months to fully train day and night. Just be patient.
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 6:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Google "toilet training readiness' and you will see some good links.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:39 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• you will beable to tell when he is ready ... if he isnt giving signs of being ready iw ouldnt buy the potty chair yet ( when he is more ready and you surprise him with a potty he would be more excited to go on it ).... most boys arent ready until around 3 years ( of course some do go alot earlier than that...and some go later )
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:37 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Start introducing the concept now... talk about it, show him the potty, have him sit on it things like that.... and then wait and see if he's at all interested.
    My son is daytime trained already (28 months old) but I don't think he'll be night time trained for awhile... he's a heavy night wetter still.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:34 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I'm wondering the same thing! My son is almost 23 months. I can't see any signs from him that would make me think he cares one way or the other if he's wet or dry! My show-off sister-in-law had my nephew potty trained "1 week before he turned 2 and he never had an accident since!"(Yeah, right!) I just kinda have taken the position that I know my boy better than anyone and I'll take my cues from him. I really hope they're obvious cues! GOOD LUCK!!

amyb99

Answer by amyb99 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It's never to earlier to start once, their walking on their own I say go for it!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010