What is a stress test for and how long do they usually take?

and how is it done?

mauricellaf

Asked by mauricellaf at 6:55 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• A pregnancy stress test is when you are on the monitor for uterine contractions and fetal heart rate. They either give you some o.j. or an IV medication or stimulate your nipples (I know!) to get the uterus to contract/ and see what the fetal heart rate does. It can be quick or take longer than an hour.
    They are checking for stress in the baby (in your case, babies!) PM if you want, I used to work in L&D.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Depending on the results they might put you on bed rest. If that is what they are doing it for then I think they are looking to see if you doing "stressful" activitys affects your babies heart rates. But please dont worry...I hope everything works out ok....and just a heads up if they didnt tell you already. Make sure when you go in you have comfey shoes on and something more like sweats rather then jeans if you can. I hope everything is ok for both you and the baby. If you have any more questions about what is going on then ask the doctor....If you dont understand let them know and they will either try to explain again or get someone else to explain so you do understand....And dont worry about "asking a stupid question". Like a lot of people say....There are no stupid questions when it comes to your(or your childs) health...You did not go to medical school so you have the right to ask. I will keep you in my thoughts. =)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i think they are doing a stress test for my babies! im not sure. i have to do one every week until my due date :(
    mauricellaf

Comment by mauricellaf (original poster) at 7:05 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Thank you ma'am :-)
    mauricellaf

Comment by mauricellaf (original poster) at 7:24 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• A stress test is on a treadmil (sp). When I did mine it took about 30 min...maybe a little more. But they have you hooked up to the normal cardio machines to keep an eye on your heart rate and see if the "stress" effects you. Oh and just so you know they do not have you halling a....when you start either....it will start with a slow walk and then they will keep picking it up....if you feel like you need to stop then tell them right away.....They might try to keep you going a little longer though to see how you do.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:02 AM on Nov. 24, 2010