Who/what makes children? God or Genetics?

If people are made by God, then what use is genetics? Why do we look like our parents as opposed to something random and unique?

If God makes people, then why do we need to have sexual intercourse to well.. make the baby..? Whats the point of an egg and sperm if God makes people?

People should just spring up at random or something. You pray for a child and those worthy would just get one somehow. Thats how I'd see God creating things happening. It would also prove (to a great extent) His existence.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe that genetics are what create children. Sperm meets egg and the genetics and DNA create the child. "God" has nothing to do with it.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 7:58 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• God created the process of creating people through the transfer to DNA using an egg cell and a sperm cell. Often times we try to separate God and science, but quite honestly, God was the original scientist. Just because we study what God has done does not make any less God's work. It's not our place to decide how we think God should do things, He is big enough to take care of it without our help.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:30 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• God gave us the ability to make the physical body,but He created the spirit that inhabits the body.So,by design,it takes the sperm and egg to make the physical body,but we don't create the spirit.Of course,the spirit then is influenced by a number of things during life.Which is why I don't believe God made homosexuals,or murderers,or child molesters,etc.We are responsible,ultimately,for how we think and what we do.
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 7:57 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I believe God to create the world in an orderly predictable way using math and science like genetics, or physics.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would like to agree with your very last sentence. God and science are complimentary but IMO science does not fully explain our desires, bonding, grieving, conscience, and reasoning.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• G-d made the world to work in a natural way. He created genetics as the way for His creatures to multiply.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Why not both? It is my belief that God gave us what we needed and put forth the first particle of life and so it is :)
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I am no longer christian but I always thought before that god made men and women so that we would be able to create on our own. Now as far as you saying that people praying for a child and if they diserve it then they shall recive...I think is BS....I know a few people who should never have a child and those who should cant.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I believe God intended the world to work through things like evolution, genetics, etc, etc. In light of that, science and faith are completely compatible.

I do believe the soul comes from God, though.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Genetics.
    shabbypink123

Answer by shabbypink123 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2010