how do i safely thaw out a 20lb. turkey for tomorrow????

I have had in cold water in my sink last night and all day today

Diane2k

Asked by Diane2k at 7:44 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• The way you are doing it now....But because the water will get so clold from it being frozed you need to change the water every so often. with it this close you should also be able to just set it on the counter to thaw just like you would if you knew you were going to use ground meat. Good luck!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Place it in cold water in the sink and keep turning it and refilling the sink. this will thaw it out slowly.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:47 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I agree. In the cold water but you have to keep changing it. I would keep it like that all day today and maybe this evening if it's still not close, I would put it on the counter for a while.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Idk, but I know that Butterball has a hotline & their website to answer all turkey related questions. Happy Thanksgiving!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:54 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Keep doing what you're doing. Do not put it on the counter. Last year a girl on here did that for a church school function, and people got sick because of it. She said she had done it before and nothing happened. I'm sure someone on here may have done it before and nothing happened, sometimes it doesn't, but I sure would never take the chance.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:03 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Alton Brown recommends putting the turkey (sans the netting, but still in the plastic) into a 5 gallon bucket and letting cold water slowly drip onto the bird so that the convection will thaw the bird faster than in standing cold water alone. If your bird floats, a large pot lid can be used to weigh it down some. He did also put a brick on the lid, but that is not usually necessary with a heavy weight lid.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2010