Baby has a swollen eye...what do I do...it's Saturday and the dr. is closed.

My daughter is 4 months and 3 weeks; she woke up this morning with her right eye swollen. It's not red, pinky, or have any mucus, just swollen. I am putting warm wash cloths on her eye, is there anything else I can do?

geronima2003

Asked by geronima2003 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd has that too. I asked my dr. & he said that happens because she sleeps on it. I've noticed that whatever side she sleeps on, her eye swells. Hope that helps!
    krisstencarmela

Answer by krisstencarmela at 2:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• She might have gotten something in it. Try flushing it gently with water and gently rubbing it (the lid, not the eye) with a warm and damp washcloth.

It could also be that she was bit on her eyelid by a bug or that she's having an allergic reaction to something. I would keep an eye on it. If it seems to get worse then maybe take her to a pediatric ER or see if there is a clinic open in your area.

Does the doctor have a number you can call when the office is closed? Some doctor's offices have a nurses line that you can call for medical advice. If it seems urgent they will either tell you to go to the ER or they will have the doctor call you. Otherwise they'll give you advice on what you can do until the office is open.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• its probably a sty.....keep up with the warm rags and give her motrin....if its a sty it'll be gone in a few days
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 5:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• just make sure that the water on the rag isnt hot because the germs that could be in here eye irritating it live on heat and warmth instead try making it luke warm....and if u put lotion on ur baby make sure u dont put it anywhere near her eye.. try keeping anything like that away from her eye. it may jsut irritate it more.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 11:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2008