Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My gf filed papers to get a divorce from her estranged husband. She lives in another state now. She did not hear from

him concerning the divorce, so she tried to get in touch. Her bil went to the house to find his brother dead of natural casuse. Since she is technically his wife, is she responsible for the funeral? He got an inheritance awhile ago so what happens next?


Asked by mamacita69930 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Relationships

Level 21 (11,886 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • She doesn't have to pay for his funeral. She can refuse and the state can dispose of his body but she could have him cremated cheaply. I'd get a copy of his Death Cert and sign up for his SS.They will pay a small portion of his funeral expense

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:16 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • She should contact the attorney who helped her with her original papers. Wow. Good luck to her.

    Answer by kjrn79 at 8:53 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • If she has been married to him for 11 years she's entitled to his SS. As for the funeral, if his inheritance went to her, than I would think she would bury him or have him cremated whichever his choice was. If he was in the military, she could call any VA office and they would help her in advice on what to do.


    Answer by zbee at 8:55 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • Do they have children together? If yes she and the children are entitled to Social Security survivors benefits immediately. If no then it probably doesn't matter because to get monthly benefits she has to reach retirement age to collect. So who freaking cares! Yes she would have to be married to him for more than 10 years, but she would also have to not remarry before then and chances are she will make more money on her own and qualifiy for more under her own name than under his 30-40 years from now. I believe his estaste is responsible for his funeral so If he has inherited money recently that money will pay for his funeral and then they can fight over what is left between her because she was "estranged" and his family. But if he has kids then the money has to go to support the kids. A lawyer might be in charge of sending her a check each month so she doesn't blow it all at once if the family expresses concern. GL

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:37 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • oh wow that sad.....i am so sorry....i have to say because she was still his spouse i think she is responible but call a lawyer and ask them to be for the rest if he didnt have a will and they where still legaly married it all goes to her unless the family protests....good luck

    Answer by cara124 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • Tell her to get in contact with the lawyer she had do the paperwork and find out what she needs to do next.

    Answer by raemommy at 9:37 AM on Nov. 24, 2010