I have been prescribed...

I just seen my Doc again and for depression,he changed my meds to Celexa and for pain this Fentanyl patch.Is there anyone on either of these I know everyones different but just curious.I always research everything I take even if my Doc puts me on them.Even talking to ppl on them.Thanks.

karencrouch

Asked by karencrouch at 8:59 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Health

• I've been on the patches before. Are you new to the world of hardcore narcotics and long term pain management? If you need to know anything let me know. I've been around the block with this shit a couple of times.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:07 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Well I'm also on hydrocodone and started taking more,so between the two,switching back and forth,he gave me the patch.It is moprhine I have read.Did it help ur pain and how about Celexa?I believe alott of my depression come from always in pain and just sick since my surgerys and hysterectomy,some women say it was the best thing they could of had done.The worse for me.Thankyou for any help!
    karencrouch

Comment by karencrouch (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I have never been on any psychotropic meds, but I can tell you how to handle the patches.
    Number one - it's not morphine. Fentanyl is it's own, separate opiate derived drug. It's very powerful. Put one on after you get out of a hot shower. The drug can take 12-18 hours to enter your bloodstream through the skin and start working, so it's good that you have the hydro for breakthrough pain (which, depending on the severity of your pain, you may still deal with.) Be careful with heat (like a heating pad) because this will increase the rate that the drug crosses the skin, and can lead to an overdose. Don't drink. At all. Even if you take a patch off, you will have the drug in your system for 18-24 hours. DON'T DRINK.
    As for the depression, it's actually just as likely that the symptoms come from the meds themselves. It's common in long term opiate users to experience depressed mood. I found that exercise helped a lot...
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:22 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• it counteracted the effects of the medication and also empowered me a bit, making me feel like I was more in control of my pain levels and recovery. Light exercise, like walking, swimming, or yoga, will be your best friend in this.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I took my last hydro pill yesterday and won't get the patch until tonite,and its the 25 mcg not sure what that means,I do know its the lowest dose.I have today to get a big dinner started for tommorrow and can barely get out of bed this morning.so depressed I feel this bad.cause so much to do for Thanksgiving.I am (hankful for my 4 kids.2 out and coming and want a great day but want to stay in bed until its over.I do have Ibuprohen 800 but just tears my stomach up W or w/o food.If u don't mind what were u on the patch for?and thankyou for all the info:)
    karencrouch

Comment by karencrouch (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I work in a pharmacy and Celexa is a mild, non-addictive anti-depressant. The best you can be on as far as becoming addicted to it. Fentnyl patches are not morphine, but you definetly need to be careful and follow the Dr.s instruction on use. Controls extreme pain, is a C2 drug. If you have questions ask your pharmacist or you can go to web m.d. to find out more.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 9:49 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• 25 mch = 25 micrograms of fentanyl crosses the skin each hour. Yes, it is the lowest dose. If you have NOTHING right now, you may want to call your doc and ask for a partial refill of the hydro. If you are having that much pain and you have stuff to do, it can't hurt to ask.
    If they won't okay the partial fill, there are these other patches you can get called Salonpas. OTC pain relief patches, they have capsascin in them (the stuff that makes hot peppers hot) it relieves pain with heat, but the heat it a chemical reaction to the capsacin, so it won't interfere with the patches. I LOVED those.

I have a couple of slipped dics in my lower back. I am not on the patches anymore, I was for about 6 months not long after my injury.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• wow... no advice
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2010