children with cold sores???

My friend has a little boy about 3 months old and he has a cold sore. I thought this was a little odd. Is it harmful to them to have one that little? I know anymore, everyone gets em and i looked it up for her and says most children get one before they are adults. But he is only a baby. Should she take him to the doctor? And i know cold sores are herpes (Simplex virus 1). What do u guys think? And do your children get em have em? Please bump if possible!

Mommy2Bailey910

Asked by Mommy2Bailey910 at 9:01 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:31 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I bumped for you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• has anyone elses kids ever had one this young?
    Mommy2Bailey910

Comment by Mommy2Bailey910 (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• not here
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• can someone respond with anymore info plz?
    Mommy2Bailey910

Comment by Mommy2Bailey910 (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Bump. I'm not immune, but my hubs is. I get cold sores, but my 1year old looks like she may have his immunity. (Thank goodness) I've often wondered if I should not kiss her when I have a cold sore.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 10:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• no you should avoid kissing her. I dunno how old she is but i read up on it for my friend cuz i have a LO too, bout the same age and was freaked out by it. It can be passed so i would avoid it just to be safe. My SO gets em occasionally but i dont. So if he gets one, i would make him stay away from me and her lol
    Mommy2Bailey910

Comment by Mommy2Bailey910 (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I'm not exactly sure what specific answer you are looking for. I posted a good link to some information for you. Not enough room to copy and paste ALL the info. Figured you'd click, read and learn? But, none the less...here is an excerpt from the link I posted for you above.

It's very unlikely that your baby will get a cold sore in the first six months or so, because the antibodies he received from you will offer him some protection. But if your baby is less than 3 months old and he gets any kind of mouth sore, call his doctor right away. In young infants in particular, the herpes virus can spread to the brain and other organs, causing serious — potentially permanent or fatal — damage.

What more do you want? If this doesn't tell you what you want to know...CALL A DOCTOR!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:15 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• no need to be rude. i read that before i even posted this! i looked it up. i wanted to know if anyone on here had ever dealt with it first hand. i can read AND click on links. but thank you for the help. No need to respond. i do appreciate the link.
    Mommy2Bailey910

Comment by Mommy2Bailey910 (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I wasn't trying to be rude. Sorry you felt I was. You asked if it was harmful to them at 3 months and I posted the information answering your question. Many people won't click on a link...so, I posted an excerpt. If you already knew the information, it wasn't posted as such and I apologize if I came off as rude. Unfortunately, there is no inflection in typed responses. I was just trying to stress that it is a dangerous situation for an infant and to call a doctor. Again, I apolize.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2010