Random Question

Just a random question that popped into my head...

Why is it when it comes to debates, it is only in religious debates that it is acceptable to use the source that you are debating as a source to support it?

Like, for example, if you are trying to prove something about the Bible most seem to only use the Bible as a source to back it up. Yet in science this would not be allowed and outside sources are needed, i.e. criticisms or supports written for the topic.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 9:16 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I understand. I question and am told I have to have faith or I have to believe. I want very much to believe, but I would love to have somethingconcrete to base my belief on.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Faith is a one way street.....

Answer by older at 9:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• because that is their one and only source to use. That is where they get their belief and follow the word. I have learned that I cannot debate something that is personal to me yet different for someone else. It is impossible and a waste of time and good energy.
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• But there isn't just one source. There are many books written by believers and non believers about the Bible. Plus you have multiple translations and interpretations plus the oldest known transcripts. Then you can go and translate the old text yourself. So there is more than just one book that can be used when debating the Bible.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I agree faith seems to be a one way street. People want you to see it this way and thats it.
    JuneBug1985

Answer by JuneBug1985 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• They use the Bible because unlike science they don't have any other avenues other than faith and a strong hope to prove anything they say. Faith and hope aren't concrete that you can boil up and make something with and show a result, it s just an idea you really feel strongly about in its truth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Anon - So then they are trying to prove their own personal faith and not the Bible. I am talking about when people are trying to prove that something in the Bible is correct.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Anon has a good point. There is very little in the bible which is actually historically valuable. and even less that is accurate.

The bible, and most christian beliefs are not set in stone, they are interpretations of one form of wishful thinking or another. In order to make anything that their holy book says, valid in any way, they must first make valid and "real" their faith.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• The bible is the only "source" I need. My religion is built on faith. Some may call it faulty, and say that it has holes, those people are the nonbelievers. I understand these questions and I understand the debates, I have been there too. I am a very spiritual person. I love my God and I trust His Word. There are some things in the Bible that I still have a hard time with and I really have to pray about it. For example, I have a hard time believing a homosexual is born into the darkness and God puts "blinders" on them so they keep getting deeper and deeper in sin.

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I have read the passage and it is the Word of God, but I have a hard time standing behind that. I am noone to question God and His Authority and I am not going to try to "prove" the Word otherwise. I just have to pray for understanding and have faith that I will get the answer I need. See there are even things I would like to disprove, but you can't disprove the Laws of God. I do not use anyother source because the Bible IS GOD'S WORD. There is no need for anyother source.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 24, 2010