Did you bleed?

Did you have bleeding or spotting during your pregnancy, and you go to term? I did with my first, not with my second. But last night, I started having some bleeding, and went to the ER. The doc said that my diagnoses was "threatened abortion." He said, "It is all up to "the man upstairs" if you keep this pregnancy or not." I thought that was kind of funny. But the heartbeat is 169 beats per minute, and it was wiggling away during the ultrasound!

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 9:24 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Personally speaking, Once I had implantation bleeding, and went on to have a term baby just fine. Two other times I had spotting start at 11 wks & it gradually increased until I miscarried @ 12 wks. During my other 4 pregnancies, I had no bleeding at all.
    Professionally speaking, (I'm a midwife). With a miscarriage, most of the time, the baby is dead before the bleeding starts, so the fact that you heard a heartbeat, means you will probably go on to deliver a fine, healthy baby at term. As several have mentioned sometimes the bleeding is caused by placenta previa, in which case you can still have a healthy baby as long as you deliver by C/S, near term. Rarely, a woman has regular periods during pregnancy, sometimes only in the 1st month or two, more rarely through the whole pregnancy. The most common (but not the only) cause of this is low progesterone levels, which can make you miscarry if they drop too low.
    marlenecpm

Answer by marlenecpm at 11:01 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I bled like a stuck pig with my daughter.. on more than 3 occasions. She is a happy and healthy 3 year old. No bleeding at all with my son. Now I am 22 weeks pregnant with twins and I did have some bleeding at 8 weeks and 13 weeks. They look great so far =) I think that any time there is bleeding in the beginning of the pregnancy they have to classify it as a threatened miscarriage/abortion.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I had some bleeding during 3 out of my 4 pregnancies and carried them to term.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:32 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i bled some, doc said implantation bleed
    then more and doc said "it is just part of pregnancy sweetie"
    bled again, doc not in, different doc did scan, this doc said placents previa 100% covering cervix
    you will bleed again, if you hemmerage, and your life in danger, i will have to take baby and possiblly give you hestorectomy

i said i will just not bleed anymore, all medical staff thought i was insane

i did not bled one more drop and had my daughter one month early c section planned (i could not get close to labor, so one month early)

good luck!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:38 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• With my second daughter I had very light bleeding. It was never heavy but it happened at least once a week until I was about 6 or 7 months. I was afraid I'd miscarry but didn't. She's 2 now. I also have a friend that was pregnant and started bleeding. Heavy like a period. She didn't go to the doctor, she just ignored it and thought she'd had a miscarriage. She went to her next appt. with her OB and she was still pregnant. Bleeding doesn't necessarily mean you will lose the baby. Just take it easy.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I had a major bleed at 14 weeks, the ER doctor said I was going to lose the baby. Went to my OB the next morning, he did another ultrasound, baby was fine. I bled (sometimes really bad) throughout my pregnancy, and was put on bedrest at 6 months. I had a complete previa - if I sneezed it would start a bleed. I delivered my son at 34 weeks via emergency c after my last major bleed. Aside from a 2 week NICU stay, my son is a healthy almost 3 yo now.

Bleeding doesn't always mean losing the baby. Hugs to you, I know how scary it is.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:47 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• With this pregnancy when I was nine weeks I started to spot one night then the next day bleed heavily. I went to the hospital and they did an ultra sound and found that my uterus was tearing away from my placenta. So I went on three months bed rest and it healed up. Now my son is doing good and kicking the crap out of me every day constantly it seems. So yeah rest as much as you can and try not to stress. Sometimes things happen and then the out come can still be good. Good luck to you.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 10:12 AM on Nov. 24, 2010