How much would you spend?

If you were not working and on unemployment how much would you be willing to spend on gifts for your husband when you also had to buy for the rest of your family?

Darla47

Asked by Darla47 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Holidays

• nothing, my husband would understand our money is best spent elsewhere
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• my husband and I NEVER get each other anything. We wait til January when tax refund time and do something special or get each other a surprise. At Xmas time every spare penny goes to the kids and family gifts.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My husband and I only exchange gifts after all of the other gifts are bought. If there is any money left over, then we exchange, There were years that we didn't. We know we love each other. We don't need a store bought gift.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Well, I think I would decide how much I could afford to spend total on Christmas, make my Christmas list. ......my family should know that I was unemployed, and can't afford what I would normally spend.....if anything. I personally would probably make gifts if possible for many people, or give much smaller gifts than usual.

How much is your husband spending on you??? You both need to set a limit. There have been years when we haven't bought for each other, but planned on doing something special at Valentine's instead.

I wouldn't do more than I could really afford to do.....for anyone.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• We don't exchange gifts with each other on Christmas we will give each other a gift of something they need either earlier or later depending on the year.
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 10:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• In the lean years, my husband and I would make cards for each other. In the cards we made "coupons" for things like doing dishes for her, helping him clean the garage, He will watch the kids while you have a night with girl-friends, fixing your/his favorite meal, back/foot rub/massage, pedicure (yes, men like that too). You get the idea. It's the little things that count and they all say "Love".
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Look for inexpensive alternatives to mall shopping. For example, my kids' school is doing a holiday craft night. Kids can come in and buy tickets for the various craft tables. They make things to give as Christmas gifts. Most items are either $1 or $2. A few are $4. The kids love it and it doesn't cost very much. You might opt to purchase a craft set and give those as gifts. Or buy a set of plain glass ornaments and paint them. That way you can customize them according to the recipient.

Good luck. Just try not to get sucked into the commercialism. It's too easy to spend way more than you planned when you do.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 10:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would maybe get him one thing hat was not very expensive.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:17 AM on Nov. 29, 2010