real trees

What do I need to know about having a real Christmas tree? I would like to have one this year but I have always used artificial. Do you put something down on the floor to portect floor? Does trunk go in a bowl? Do I water it? How often? I'm clueless!!

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Holidays

• Buy a tree stand, the best ones have a really wide base. Water it everyday, and add some sugar to the water. The ones with the shorter needles hold their needles better than the ones with the longer needles. I usually get mine about 3 weeks before Christmas, and take it down the day after.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Water often to prevent the tree from drying out. I also use a tree prolong solution.
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 10:25 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• In the beginning it will take a lot of water. Keep the tree stand filled up. Check it every day. We get ours around 2 weeks before Christmas and keep it up until New Year's day. They don't last longer than that. You can sit the tree stand on a towel in case you spill water when you add it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:27 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• You can buy "live trees" _ they come, with roots, in a pot of earth, so you can plant it after Christmas. You definately have to keep the earth moist, to keep the tree alive, until it gets planted. Most trees however are sawed off from their roots. You can just take two boards & nail them into the bottom of the trunk in the shape of a cross, so the tree stands up, but it is impossible to water the tree, so it won't last very long that way. It is better to get a Christmas tree stand. When putting the tree into the stand, it helps to place pennies between the trunk & the screws, otherwise the screws will dig into the trunk. It helps to have two people putting up the tree together, one to hold it steady while the other is underneath tighening the screws. Keep the basin full of water , replenishing it as needed, so it doesn't dry out to badly. A dry tree, besides loosing needles & not looking good, becomes a fire hazard!
    marlenecpm

Answer by marlenecpm at 10:36 AM on Nov. 24, 2010