Have you ever quit a job due to a bully boss?

If you've done a good job for ten years, and then have to work for someone else due to company merger, and suddenly you get written up for things you didn't do...

how would you handle it? Put up with it indefinitely or finally quit?

booksandhooks

Asked by booksandhooks at 10:42 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't quit till I had a new job to go to in this economy
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:43 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I agree, I would take it until I had another job, they are really hard to find.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:44 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• agree wtih 1st poster !

and my husband quit becasue he had a mean boss, but he did have a job lined up .....unfornutaly 4 weeks after starting the new job they let him go
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 10:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• About 20 years ago I did. She "set me up" and lied to the boss,etc. and I was so harassed by her I just quit after about 6 months. We worked at a little branch bank in NC. SHe actually told someone that the day I walked into the bank on my first day she decided she didn't like the way I looked (n I was shorter and thinner than she was )and she didn't like my "Yankee accent" and from then on she worked to push me out. I tried for 6 months but couldn't take it ,so I quit. That was what she wanted,I guess.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Yes, I have quit thanks to a bully boss and employee. Yes I know you wont get along everyone you work with and you can't escape it no matter where you went. But this employee was lying about me, and I had the proof but the boss in charge of my department sided with her and HR kinda looked the other way even though they knew I was the one being harassed. So yes I quit, the pay wasn't worth it and I was lucky to be able to rely on my husbands job for income during the time it took me to find a new job. I would suggest start looking for a new job so you wont have to worry about being unemployed and to also start talking to your HR. Hopefully your HR will actually do their job and help you.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• work at walmart then u'll think bully I'd tell him to suck it up! I'ts almost impossible to find a good job in this economy atleast one that will be enough to support ur family on.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I have...but cover yourself by keeping a log or a calendar. Get yourself a journal and document document document. dot all your i's and cross all your T's. Keep a positive professional attitude and smile. I might have a one on one conference with that person and set your boundries. I promise you if you can hold on and tough it out, people like that come out in the wash.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:49 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I have due to boss/employee who didn't like me for some reason or another. Anytime something bad happened it was my fault, anytime a shipment didn't go out, it was my fault which is funny because I was being blamed for things that weren't my job, and the employee who had it out for me was being praised for the work I did. I got sick of it after about 3 months and quit. My husband had a job though so I didn't have to worry about income.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:07 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I'd probably quit! I HATE bullies!!!!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I agree with previous posts. I wouldn't quit till I had another job to go to and I would document EVERYTHING just like Momforhealth wrote. Stick to emails for conversations with the new boss; if not, make sure you have a witness with you when you and the new boss talk. I've had 3 bully bosses. Luckily, for the first, I was only there for about 2 months (transition job after college) and the other, well, he was more of a pervert/sexual harrasser, and was worse with other people. I avoided him like the plague and talked a lot to the 2 other bosses in the department, so he didn't bother me much after that. The last was the worst and I had to endure it for a year till I transitioned to another level. Mean people suck.
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 2:15 AM on Nov. 26, 2010