Anyone else

wish there neighbors wouldn't care about their leaves so you didn't have to pretend to care about yours?

Raindew

Asked by Raindew at 10:43 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I'm not a freak about it but I understand how frustrating it is when people who take an effort to keep their yard maintained get leaves that blow down into their yard because their neighbors didn't rake their own. I think it's pretty with leaves on the grass, but it's so tidy looking when they're picked up. And if you leave too many, they'll choke out the grass. Plus, some don't decompose well (like oak--too acidic).
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 8:42 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• LOL Yesterday I noticed a neighbor across the street had hired a lawn care service to come and collect their leaves - they are the only house on the block that seems to care. And then last night we had a big storm and their yard looks just like the rest of ours. I wonder how much $ they wasted on that one.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Why does it matter what the neighbors do with their lawn and how would that effect you? If they want to take care of their lawn, so be it, that doesn't make you obligated to handle your lawn. Just let them do whatever makes them happy and do whatever makes you happy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Ok, I am a huge freak when it comes to this. Leaves decompose, good for the earth. I love love love the cozy way the look all golden and beautiful on my lawn. Me and my kids hate when DH finally blows them to the curb for the city to pick up. He knows this about me and so at least waits until they are coming to get them. I also love the way new fallen snow looks and get cranky if people walk in it and mess it up lol told you I was a freak! I make my kids play in the back yard when it snows lol.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• We have a thing that you attach to your lawn mower and it sweeps the leaves up. I can't believe how well it works! I love it.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I don't think having leaves on your lawn shows a lack of care, it's winter time and the tress are loosing their leaves unless you have nothing else to do you are bound to have leaves on your lawn. What gets me is when the leaves clog the drains and gutters. At our house, the water drains from the backyard directly into the street and if the water can't flow because of gutters and drains full of leaves and sticks and whatnot then our backyard will flood. And there have been a couple of occasions where we have had to clear the gutter and drain (which is two houses down) during a storm.
    didra

Answer by didra at 3:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• LOL, I
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I can empathize. My neighbors don't care about my leaves, but one of my neighbors (she used to own our house) has hinted strongly at our mowing all of the front lawn. We own 8 acres, about 4.5 of which is in the front. We mow about 2.5 acres in the front (not including the sides and part of the back), but this takes a long time, especially with kids. Mix in a poorly drained part of the front (hence the reason we don't take our 100+ lb lawn tractor there). She has also told us where to not plant trees. After about 4 years, I believe it has finally sunk in that we aren't going to follow her suggestions and this year was the first that she didn't bring it up in conversations--though we also didn't talk to she & her hubby much, either.....
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 1:58 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• no one cares abt stuff like that here
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:23 AM on Nov. 26, 2010