My SIL giving me grief because my 13 month old is potty trained !!!!

I have a 13 month old son and he is POTTY TRAINED ... I take him to the bathroom every half an hour and he goes, he rarely goes in his underwear and I only have to put a pull up on him at bedtime, but even then he rarely pees.

My SIL has been watching him lately so i can work out and tan ( about an hour a day ) .... and she tries to tell me he isnt trained and said I am the one who is trained and told me I need to leave a pull up when she watches him ... We were close and have/had a sisterly relationship ... but now she is just making me mad !

What would you say to her ?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Tell her to butt out of how you raise your child.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:51 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If she won't take care of your son the way you feel he should be cared for I would ask someone else to watch him or work out at home while he naps. I don't think there is anything wrong with early potty training.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:52 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If you take him to the potty, then YOU ARE TRAINED ! LOL. WHen he walks to the potty and pees all by himself without any suggestion or pointing him that way, he IS potty trained. Yup--YOU are trained. Sorry. Its my honest opinion.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Please don't be offended but if he isn't going on his own and HAS to be taken to use the toilet then no he isn't trained. Children aren't considered potty trained until they are going on their own, don't need to be remind (accept for the occasional accident because yes they are little kids and things do distract him). But if he is only using the toilet because you are taking him too it then I am siding with your sister and saying he is not fully potty trained.
    YES it is good that you are doing this now, he will grasp it more quickly and maybe when he is two he will be fully potty trained, maybe sooner hard to say.
    When you sister is baby sitting, if she only has him for an hour than ask her to take him to the toilet once or twice while she has him to keep on with your schedule. Let her know the last time you took him so she can keep him on track.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:55 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Id tell her to shove it! Congrats on the accomplishment I can hardly get my two year old to go lol
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 10:57 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I know he is potty trained... i ahve seen 4 year olds that need to be taken to the potty....

when we are at home he rarely has accidents - he hold it until i take him every 30 minutes....

I told her this and she said that she does take him and he wont go on teh potty and then always pees within 5 mintues after getting him off the potty ...

She didnt potty train her son until he was 3, so I imagin maybe she is mad that my son actually did it before her son
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• To me it is obvious that she isn't comfortable with making sure he is toileting every half hour. You could find a sitter that agrees with your method of elimination training, or leave the pull up.

I do agree with her that you are more trained than your child, but I think he might "get it" easier when he is older than traditional methods. I would give you more grief about tanning than how you "train" your child.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:59 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• He's too young to understand. I have seen other mothers do this (train them too early) and they always revert back to a diaper. Who has time to take a child to the potty every 30 min anyway? Your SIL isn't mad bc you made this mistake. She did it right, when a child is ready and understands what they are doing and why.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think she is right. If you have to take him every 1/2 hour than you are trained. Not him. I wouldn't want to do that either. I don't blame her. She can't "butt out" because you are asking her to do this for you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:02 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• No, you are trained. She may not have time to take him every 30 minutes. OR he may not go for her.

My son was 2.5 when he was trained in 4 days. Yes, I took him and had him try every 15 minutes and then every 30 and so on, but, by day 4, he went on his own without my helping at all. He KNEW he had to go and he pulled his own pants down and went on the potty. So, while yes, you do have an awesome start, you can't expect everyone to continue that route, nor at 13months can you expect him to go for her.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:02 AM on Nov. 24, 2010