Any advice on a punishment when your 7 yr old hits another child?

I am a single mom and have my daughter in an after school care, but am not sure it is the best. Today, she hit a younger girl (5 yrs old) because the girl (along with other kids) were teasing her about liking "Thomas" another boy. She hit the girl in the forehead with her hand. Any ideas about a consequence?
THanks

lilipie

Asked by lilipie at 12:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i duno about this one...were the other kids getting physical too? i know some "hit" and "push" {not hard. Also, have these kids made any ther trouble for her..the punishment really depends on the circumstance for me.. there should be a punishment though.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 12:27 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I don't think I would really punish her. I would talk to her about the kids teasing her and how she should not be hitting. I would see if these kids are teasing her a lot or if she is having other problems.

I would talk to her about her feelings and why she hit the other girl. Then I would let her know that if it happens again this is what her punishment will be. Give her the tools to ignore these kids so she is not put in this situation again.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:47 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Another thing to add to these above responders is that she needs to feel free to tell on them, let the adult in charge handle teasing. Any teasing is not okay and she needs to know that.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 10:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2008