agree or disagree ???

If YOU take your child to the potty at a certain amount of time has passed ( say every 20 or 30 mintues) ...then they are not realy potty trained ?

I see so many moms on here talking about how their 1 year olds are potty trained and then they say they take them to the potty every *blank* mintues... that is them being trained that means the person taking them to the potty every * blank * minutes is trained.... if you didnt take them that often, would they come to you and tell you they have to go, or would they go to the potty themselves??? That is what potty trained measn !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think they are trained when they no longer need a diaper/pull up. I know I would rather take a little one to the bathroom every so often than change a diaper.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:04 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If they tell the parents at different times that they need to go..then they could be potty trained.. but it sounds like doing the "schedule pee" thing would be a dumb idea.. They need to learn to go when they need to.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:05 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Nope, they are trained when they go by themselves.

My son was trained at 2.5. While yes, I did take him every 15 minutes at first, then, every 30 and so on, by day four...he no longer needed me to take him, he could run and pull down his pants and go himself. He was ready for preschool, no outside help needed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:05 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• In my opinion I dont think a child is potty trained until they can either let you know they need to go potty or they can go themselves. I do think that taking them to the potty every so many min is a great way for them to understand and get the concept of going potty on the toilet and it would help in the potty training process.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:05 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think when a child is able to walk up to you and say they need to go potty that they are trained. When your taking them so often I would say that your still training.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:05 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I agree with OP. A child is not potty trained if the parent put them on the potty every, say, 30 minutes. A child is potty trained when they understand they are about to pee or poop and ASK to go to the potty.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 11:06 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I started out by taking mine. The first day every 45 minutes, the second day every hour. The third day they were trained. I didn't consider them trained until they went potty by themselves. I read that post about the 13 month old. Ridiculous!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:07 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think it is a way of potty training that can be very effective.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:07 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think the child is potty training. If he wears "big boy" undies and tells you when he need to go, that is potty trained.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If a child is not peeing in his her pants then they are pretty much potty trained. My DD would forget sometimes, so i would remind her often to go to the bathroom. I did not take her, but i would say "Honey, why don't you try to go potty, you havent been in a while" And she would.

Also, taking them every 15 minutes works wonders for potty training. It's really not long before they're doing it on their own at that point.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:08 AM on Nov. 24, 2010