How can I keep the crust of my pumpkin pie from not getting soggy?

Ananomys

Asked by Ananomys at 11:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• pre-bake it for a couple of minutes to dry it out. to do this, line it with foil, and weigh it down with some dry beans or rice so it won't shrink. bake @ 350 for about 7 minutes. then fill it.
    Also, if your filling is particularly runny, it will also cause this to happen once it is baked. adding a little extra fat to the recipe works well to emulsify the egg/pumpkin mixture so it does not weep liquid after it is cooked.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:36 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• What type of crust do you use?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:36 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• @ballewwal It's like a regular crust,not a graham crust,if you know what I mean.I am new to making pies and don't know what I am doing. : [

Ananomys

Comment by Ananomys (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If it's getting soggy then you have too much moisture either in the pie or in the Pumpkin mix. You should let your pie crust (Home made or otherwise) sit out until it gets to room temprature. That will reduce any excess moisture and as well allow it to be easier to work with. Spreading a SMALL amount of butter on the top edges of the crust will help it crisp up a little as well. Also, if you cook it just a little longer it will probably crisp up.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• OP, I have a great pastry recipe for both savory and sweet pies, let me know if you want them. It only takes 10 minutes to make, and is super easy! I don't like the texture or flavor of store bought crust.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:47 AM on Nov. 24, 2010