How do I get my 3 year old to loose that horrible attitude!?

She talks back, she's rude and disrespectful to more people than just me. It's embarrasing, and I don't know what to do. Ive tried alot, talking to her differently, disipling her defferently. She does have alot she's going through, plus she's 3. Please help with any suggestions!!

LilOliviasMama

Asked by LilOliviasMama at 11:32 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She's probably just acting like a 3-year-old, but that's no excuse to not correct her - consistently and immediately. The "embarrassment" you describe sometimes causes parents to smile, laugh, then get out of the situation immediately." Don't smile or laugh, you're sending the wrong message. Correct the child, letting her know that the behavior she's displaying is unacceptable and has a consequence. The consequence might be that something she is looking forward to is taken away. Be careful not to punish yourself though. Parents who act quickly and spout out a punishment like you'll stay in the house for 2 weeks, only punish themselves because then they have to stay in the house with the child for two weeks. Also, see if you can determine what sets your child off to act disrespectfully. Are you providing the attention she needs, or are you talking on the phone, texting, playing computer games?
    samye076

Answer by samye076 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Two words will correct this.

Red bottom.

See thats simple. Your being tested and you can't allow her to keep doing this.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• set the rules and stick to them. if my daughter (who is also 3) acts up we will simply leave... if she's sassy to her teacher, out we go. if she is sassy to her gma out we go... she's learned very quickly to hold her tounge if she really wants to do something.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If your daughter is losing control....you need to set boundaries and stick to them. Consistency is the key. 

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:00 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• my dd is 5 is still has an attitude! good luck!
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 12:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Pretty sure the belligerent attitude comes with the 3-4 year old children as standard options o.O Make the rules, stick to them, even when it's inconvenient for YOU. Eventually, it'll sink in that she's not going to get away with it...may take a LONG time, but that's really all you can do.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:27 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My kids are well behaved and polite....but they all have red bottom badges! Sassiness and disrespect are NOT tolerated in my home - for ANY reason!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:02 AM on Nov. 28, 2010