Vegetarian child ?

If  your child declared themselves a vegetarian at age 12 ( The rest of the family is not ) would you support it ?

sulkygirl79

Asked by sulkygirl79 at 11:38 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Of course! I did the same when I was that age. Why wouldn't I support my child making sound decisions about her life?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:40 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Hell yes! I did when I was in middle school. He/she must have their reasons.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Yeah, I d make sure they have a valid point, do they understand and why. But yes Id let them, if tghey have reasons Id be impressed they made their own decision and tried to take a stand , if its a phase to get a rise from you itll go away faster if you let it play out.
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 11:43 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Define 'support'...

Make a second dinner, or allow someone else to be cooking a completely different meal at the same time I am? No.

Avoid making observations on the nature of life and consent? No.

Force or coerce them to eat something? No. Not even by 'sneaking' it into their food --because that level of deviousness teaches completely the wrong things.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:43 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• if one of my vegetarian children decided to eat meat, I would not stand in the way- and if they wanted to buy and cook it, more power to them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:44 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Not to the extent of changing the family's eating habits. If my daughter wanted to become vegetarian I would support her, but she would be looking for the recipes and helping to prepare them. I would also watch that she got enough protein and good fat in her diet as our 11 year old is already on the thin side.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I declared my vegetarianism at the age of 9. I wouldn't say my parents "supported" it, but they eventually realized it wasn't a phase and accommodated it by making sure that there was an acceptable substitute for me to eat while having family dinner. For example, if they were having tacos, my mom would make some refried beans for me to put in my tacos instead of beef. She also made sure there was plenty of fruits, vegetables, and non-meat protein sources for me to eat. She always hated this aspect of me, but she grudgingly tolerated it. If that's the least you can do, then try to do that much for your kid.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Sure, why not?
    shabbypink123

Answer by shabbypink123 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• yes ut watch her weight
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 1:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2010