Would you drive two hours for this?

I applied for a manager position with Blockbuster (there's one in the smallish town I live in) and I received the email message below. The closest location is TWO HOURS AWAY. With the condition my car is in, it would eat up at least half of my gas just to get there!

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in Blockbuster Inc. We would like to invite you to an upcoming Open House in your area. The details for the open house are listed as follows:

There are 3 Open Houses in your area!

- Thursday, 12/2, 12pm - 8pm, 635 Preston Royal Shopping Ctr,
Dallas, TX 75230

- Wednesday, 12/8, 10am - 6pm, 6004 Camp Bowie Blvd,
Ft Worth, TX 76116

- Thursday, 12/9, 10am - 6pm, 3000 Red Bud Blvd,
McKinney, TX 75069 (Blockbuster Distribution Center

Please bring a copy of your resume. We look forward to seeing you there!

Please feel free to review and apply for any of the current openings we have in your area at www.blockbuster.com.

Warmest Regards,
Blockbuster Recruiting Team

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 11:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• It may very well be possible that the Blockbuster in your town is not hosting an open house, but will be participating in an open house at one of the listed locations. In my experience many representatives from different locations interview potential employees at open house/hiring/job fair events. I think you should go if for no other reason than to get your foot in the door. Take into consideration that you have not been hired yet, so by going to the open house it does not mean that you will be working at that location. Personally I work about 45 miles from my home which is a 45 minute drive one way, but I can't get hired anywhere else and my partner was terminated from her job, so we have to cut back in other areas of our life in order to pay for gas for the job that pays for the roof over our heads. Keep filling out applications and good luck!
    didra

Answer by didra at 12:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would go to see if I could get the local position, but I would not take a job at that location.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:42 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Are those the locations of the jobs as well or just for the Open House? If the position is at the one in your own town I would make the trip to the other location for the Open House.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• unless youll be making 100k a year. if not then no
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:43 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If I needed a job and jobs were not at my door. I would be there. If you do not have the desire to get the job, sit home and don't bother driving all that ways.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• More than anything, I'm worried about my gas. I only have about a quarter of a tank and my husband won't get paid again until AFTER this shindig. Although, I do wonder if I can just contact the one here (where I applied to back in AUGUST) and see if I can save myself some trouble.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think your odds of actually getting the job are better if you follow there rules and let them see it's important to you. Borrow $20 from someone and go. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:55 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• *their, not there
    TweenAndTwinMom

• I thought Blockbuster was in bankruptcy???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Before you go you might try to find out if the store near you expects to remain open. All the Blockbuster's in our town closed this year. I'm also in Texas.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2010