Any tips for keeping a toddler from taking ornaments off the Christmas Tree?

My son is 20 months old, last year he was too small to get the tree but this year he is all over it, moving branches around, taking ornaments off. All the ones I have are non-breakable ballsor plastic, clay etc. But he has been tearing it apart, I've tried redirecting, time-out, stern no. I hate to get angry with him for being curious but I worked so hard on it and it looked so good and now it has holes in it and missing ornaments and broken ornaments, What can I do? I don't want to take it down and cancel christmas but I'm going crazy trying to keep him away....And btw, A baby gate wont work because he is a skilled climber...

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Holidays

• Put a round gate around it
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 11:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I used non breakables for the same reason, but if it was to the point that my 11 month old daughter wouldn't leave it alone I would put our "play yard gate" around the tree to keep her out. We also bolted the tree to the wall so she or the cats can't knock it over
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I just put the soft, unbreakable ones at the bottom. They took them off. It's part of the holiday and something you will remember. The tree doesn't have to look perfect. Relax. What's the big deal?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i would continue with the stern "NO" it works for my three when they decide to go touching the tree. i let the oldest help me decorate so she wouldn't have such a need to know what the tree felt like and such. my 23 month old doesn't ever bother it i guess im just lucky lol and my 10 month old will crawl to it and try to touch it but all it takes for her is to say no. sorry you're tree is already half-ruined :( maybe get him one of those little tiny ones and let him play with that? and every time he goes to touch the big one take him to his little one? idk hope you figure something out mama!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• put the tree up on a table or uses a gate.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Would like to know this myself but I have seen people buy these little mini trees for there kids to have for themselves I think I am going to try that with my son this year might keep him away from the big one.
    Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 11:47 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• You can undecorate the bottom portion of the tree or only put things down there that are ok for him to play with. You can redirect him every time he gets into it, but at 20 months he's going to be drawn to it like a moth is drawn to light. You could focus your efforts on keeping him out of it like you keep him out of electrical outlets or other no-no's, but chances are you'll be taking the tree down before you break the habit. In a few years you can have the tree just the way you want it again.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:49 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Deal with the holes, it won't hurt to not have a perfect tree for one year. HE is more important. Place them out of reach.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 11:50 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My son has a small one in his room with toy ornaments on it, but he wants nothing to do with it. And the gate wont work because he can climb really well and I am afraid he would catch my nack turned and climb the gate and fall into it.
    BlainesMommy09

Comment by BlainesMommy09 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If you are consistent in telling him calmly, and moving him AWAY from the tree he will leave it alone. I never "baby proofed" (outside to locking up chemicals and meds), they all learned what they could, and could not touch. It made visiting other people SO much easier because they understood that not everything was theirs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:52 AM on Nov. 24, 2010