How do I bake a sweet potato?

I have never done this before. Do you peel it or just clean it? Do people eat the skin like a regular one? How long do I bake them and at what temp? Help...........

Indyk

Asked by Indyk at 11:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• scrub the skin, pierce it with a knife so it won't explode (I actually had that happen when I was learning to cook, lol), and bake on top of a sheet pan or sheet of foil @ 350 until soft- can't tell you a time because the sizes of spud vary so much.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:49 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Clean the outside, pierce the skin a few times with a knife, wrap them in foil and bake them at 350 for about an hour.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• That depends on what you want to do with it. if you want just a baked sweet potato, follow instructions above. If you're making sweet potato pie/casserole, you'll want to skin the potatoes, boil them, then slice/cube/mash, then prepare and bake. They are a lot harder than normal potatoes, so trying to cut them raw is kinda hard. Plus if you just slice and bake them, they may not get soft enough.
    If you're making sweet potato fries, you need to boil, slice, bake (at a high temperature), then deepfry. If you don't cook them all 3 times they will either be too hard or just plain soggy. Good luck! :)
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:57 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I scrub them poke a few holes in it and rub with butter, then i wrap them in foil and put them in a 350 over for an hour. They can also be microwaved like a reg. potatoe.
    oosgrandma

Answer by oosgrandma at 11:59 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I eat the skin. I just microwave it like a regular potato.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:47 AM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I microwave mine for about 10 minutes since I hate to run the oven for over an hour getting them soft enough to eat! They are so good whipped with milk and butter like mashed potatoes :)
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 10:01 AM on Nov. 25, 2010